586,608 active members*
3,567 visitors online*
Register for free
Login Register
INDEX-Werke // INDEX TRAUB Forum
Hobbycnc (Products) > Unipolar HobbyCNC driver work with bipolar Nema23?

Unipolar HobbyCNC driver work with bipolar Nema23?

Hi Guys

I`m new to all this and just starting out - I have myself 3 motors - Nema 23 the first ones at the top of this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/200503180...com/page3.html

I purchased them off someone else, not from new and so they are wired bipolar parallel.

As a noob, I just want to get them running and I am considering buying the EZ HobbyCNC driver 4 axis. Now I realise my motors are bi-polar and that the board is a uni-polar but will is still work or will I need to rewire the motors?

Help and advice appareciate.

Chris

Chris ,

If they are 4 wire steppers they will NOT work with the HobbyCNC board.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Jeff

No, they are 8 wire bipolar - it is the unipolar / bipolar thing I don`t understand. What will be the "issue" that probably will make this drive not the ideal piece of kit? I heard that ideally I should be using bipolar driver with bipolar motor...

Any more advice welcome.

Actually Jeff, I have just done some more reading and they are just 4 wires now with the other two tapped up. I know the hobbyCNC does not accept 4 wire motors so I guess it would need a re-wire.

Chris

Chris,

If you can attach longer wires to the six existing wires you will be able to use the HobbyCNC drive.

Jeff..
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

If they are either 6 or 8 wire motors, they can be configured to run either Unipolar or Bipolar. Take a look at this link for more detailed information on how to do so:

http://www.probotix.com/stepper_moto...polar_bipolar/

Actually Jeff, I have just done some more reading and they are just 4 wires now with the other two tapped up. I know the hobbyCNC does not accept 4 wire motors so I guess it would need a re-wire.
    Kris,
    Yes you could use the the motors that you have with the Hobbycnc board. The taped wires would be the common or power source to each phase, but one draw back the motors are rated at 4 amps per phase the Hobbycnc board has a max of 3 amps per phase so you would not get the full 189oz torque from the motors.

Recommend using Hobbycnc motors rated 305oz and 3 amps per phase if you have board already. If you don't then puchase one of Hobbycnc cnc packges which would require assembly/soldering. For a few dollars more you could get a plug n play package from mikebeck.org, same Hobbycnc package but has been assemble and tested.

I puchase the 4 axis 305oz Hobbycnc Pro package from Dave because I had the power tranny and enclouser on hand and I am very please with the system.

Harold