587,535 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MC9 to Mach2 Lathe post?

Hello All,

My first post here.

I'm looking for a good post prosessor file for MC9 Lathe to Mach2 Lathe.
    Both MC9 and Mach2 axis's are configured the same...But...
    Tool paths must be drawn on the other side to cut correctly on the reverse side of the work piece,
    and radius's post backwards.

BTW...I post from MC9 with MPLFAN.pst

Hope this post makes sense. hummm...scrach head....hummm.

HD

Are you trying to get code from MC9 files into Mach2?

MC9 files are propriatary to Mastercam. You can't use them with other software.

You can export the geometry though, and post the NC code, or even export the native NCI code (if you have a way to import it to Mach2)

If you just can't get the post in MC to do what you want, post something over in the MC section and we can get it dialed in for you.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Rekd,

Thats correct, I post to a .nc file using MPLFAN.pst and open as GCode in Mach2 to run.
    The default setting for tool paths in MC start from the X+ side, I've reconfiged it to start from the X- side...like my setup. But everything comes out backwards.

HD

In mastercam you need to define what side the turite is and this also help define a postive or negtive X value.

share you file with me ,I will set the file to give you a X- out put.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

cadcam,

Everytime I try to attach a file and IE opens a new window my computer crashes...I need to find a patch.

I've configured MC to my setup...Left active spindle, vertical mount position, bottom turret, and counterclockwise rotation.

hogdog you can email it to me.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

You should switch to Mozilla. It's prolly not a bug, it's a virus/spyware/adware/worm etc that IE is so fond of letting onto your system.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Ran antivirus and found 6 worms and 2 spyware progs...my computer has more worms than my dog...lol

Hi
    I converted a small eastern bench lathe to cnc. Seeing that I have MCam at work I thought that i can use it for my hobby as well.
    I had the same problem until one day I accidentely stumbled across the cure.If you do your tool paths in MCam you must setup your tools by using the back tool turret .Your tools must face tip down keeping the spindle CCW as you would by nomal front tool turret.Use MPLFan to post. Hope this helps. It works for me. If by now u found a better post please let me know.

So is it safe to say that have layed the tools and turret to lay on the screen the same way your machine is layed out?

this how you are to work as the screen should look the same as your part on the machine.
    Cadcam

No not realy. I will try to explain it better. Your lathe setup stays the same as a normal bench lathe........Spindel lefthand side, turning CCW , toolpost in the front like any other normal lathe.

Now when you work in MasterCam 9.1, you work as if you use a rear(back) toolpost. Spindel is still on the lefthand side turnig CCW. The only change you make is to set up your tools as if you would use a rear toolpost , the tool insert must face down so that your spindle is still turning CCW. This all happens only in the opperations manager Of MasterCam. When u make your post u will see that Mach2/3 will use your setup in the invers way(toolpost at the front) .Sizes will be right as well as arcs. The only change Mach2/3 makes is to use a front toolpost other than MasterCam's setup of a rear toolpost. Try it ,it works :banana:

I know what you are saying and waht I was saying is how it is suppose to work in MC and with standard CNC lathes that most Turrits are on the top but some have them on top and bottom.

The standard is Spindal to the left unless you have a sub sindal that would be on the right.

So you have your Cplan set to +DZ as for the turrit comes from the top.

The normal for programming in mastercam is to lay it as you would in the machine.
    But in your case with a home made lathe this is diffrent.
    I will ask have you tried setting the turrit to the bottom like your setup?

And if I may ask wht is the issue with your post out put.
    I know some of us can help you.

(Try it ,it works ) I do beleave you I have been using MC sense over 12 years and I have meade it do some wild thinks.

Cadcam
    Mastercam Insturctor
    www.ppcadcam.com
    Cadcam

I did not intend this reply to get into a argument (chair) of what MCam can or canot do. This was intended for Hotdog to solve his problem with the post to Mach2
    This is just a way to go around the problem that Hotdog has encountered other than editting the post proccesor(MPLFan)
    I'm just trying to help.

I am sorry if I cam off wrong you are right that this not an argument.
    I was agreeing that you can make mastercam do alott of things even out the the normal to get what you need.

So I say again I am sorry that I came off like I did, wrong. thanks Cacam
    Cadcam

Thanks deon,

I've tryed out what you said...So far so good.

I've discovered...

Mach 2 turn is set for radius turning only (I tryed to find a way to set it to diameter...no luck).

Mach 3 turn is either radius or diameter.

If you design a part using MC the .nc post will be for a diameter turning lathe, no matter if you set your axis in MC to X+ or D+.

HD

With MasterCam Lathe tool setup screen set to vertical, top, left, and CCW (Diameter mode)...and Mach3 setup for Exact Stop and Diameter mode. This is what you get.

The pic is a .5" radius on some old 1" 6061T6 bar stock. Easy setup...easy turn.

Thanks deon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0254.2.jpg  

if you have found out a way for mastercam to post in raius programming can you let me know
    thanks jke