So here's where I'm at right now, 7 months ago I decided I wanted to start designing and milling my own rc helicopter parts. Since then I've learned cad/cam, designed and built a 3 axis cnc, and then designed and am about 90% done milling parts for a complete helicopter airframe. Pretty proud to say I'm holding a tolerance of .01mm with my machine that I have about 2k into.

Anyway, I would now like to add turning to my capabilities. I was able to get by without it so far, but it would be a huge advantage for a lot of parts. 3 axis milling my main rotor grips was a challenge and they still aren't perfect. Would have been a breeze by turning some of it.

All of my parts are either 7075 aluminum or delrin. The largest parts I would need to turn would only be maybe 6 inches long at the most, couple inches in diameter, maybe larger diameter if i wanted to turn a delrin main gear but that did fine milling. So really even a 7 x 12 is overkill. I would prefer something even smaller if it gets me better quality for the money but it seems 7 x 12 is the common mini lathe size.

So what are my options? Is there good options smaller than a 7x12? If I'm limited to that size, what would be a good choice? I see a lot in the 400 to 600 price range. Are they all garbage? Could I expect .01mm tolerances with one? What is they next step above that? I would be willing to pay more like 1000 to 1500 if it's a significant step up in quality.

Another thing I'm thinking about is utilizing my existing cnc for my lathe. My work envelope is 18x26x8 inches and 95% of my work fits in my 6inch kurt. So lots of room on my table to slap a lathe next to my vice. I was thinking I could modify my z plate for mounting turning tools and have a cnc lathe. Could use x and z axis to have cutting tool come down vertically, or x and y to come in horizontally. My machine is very rigid for being aluminum. Indicating from table to spindle, I get a couple thou of deflection when pulling on the spindle quite hard. Couple tenths with moderate pulling.

Just trying to figure out what my best option is. Size, brand, cnc control or not, etc. If I did go with cnc control using my existing 3 axis cnc, I imagine I would still have to by a fully capable manual lathe and remove half the parts to do it the way I want to, unless there's a way to purchase only the parts needed.

Open to any suggestions, thanks