587,535 active members*
2,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 40 5131415161725
    Thank you. I pretty much want to make this out of aluminum.

So is it pretty much scan>photoshop>cam>mach3

Alantron,

I too would say yes to your process ...
    Last year I took an old intake manifold gasket ( 1955 Chrysler Hemi ) and did it 2 ways. We were creating flanges for a new blower manifold.

1: took dimensions and created dxf file in Autocad, tool pathed it using CUT2D for a water jet cutter and sent it to a shop for cutting, out of 1/4" aluminum.
    2: scanned it in (in 2 parts, due to length exceeding scanner size, merged the 2 haves and tool pathed it with CUT2D and cut it on a small router out of a piece of
    scrap plastic. Call it a check-print for a lack of a better term.

Both pieces fit the engine head surface perfectly. I will be changing the profile of the port shapes to improve airflow somewhat but the basic exercise served it's purpose.

RUSSELLK,

Could you elaborate a little more about your "4th access is ridiculously weak" issue.
    I have only run mine in a test mode, haven't actually cut anything with it yet. It does seem to rotate back and forth ok with code i send it, but there is no pressure on the
    work piece from the router bit.

Thanks for all of your good comments about this machine.

Switch it on, so it is actively holding it's position.
    You can move it using just 2 fingers.
    Guess how much more force the spindle excerts on the workpiece when cutting through it at any depth!

^^^^ What he said.

I expect foam or balsa wood might work OK, but even then any kind of decent cut would probably have the workpiece wobbling a bit, which is a bit pants for a mill.

We were creating flanges for a new blower manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jos55efina View Post
    We were creating flanges for a new blower manifold.
    Is it me or is it not displaying pics?

This might a silly question but I have an electrician coming in to run 220 to the room where the router will be but I just looked at the eBay listing and the plug in the picture doesn't look like a dryer plug? What plugs did you guys receive?

I can't remember, but I think mine may not have come with a lead? The control box has a standard IEC socket, so I just used a power lead from a PC. That said, things are a bit simpler in Australia as all power points are 230V and at least 10A.

Get that electrician to install a proper star routed earth.
    You'll want that!

Quote Originally Posted by RussellK View Post
    I can't remember, but I think mine may not have come with a lead? The control box has a standard IEC socket, so I just used a power lead from a PC. That said, things are a bit simpler in Australia as all power points are 230V and at least 10A.
    If you look inside the controller box you may possibly find there is no earth lead connected, or if it's like numerous others out there, the earth lug on the IEC socket has been physically removed.

If this is the case, I'd suggest going right over the boards and wiring before connecting an earth lead, just to make sure you aren't going to short digital ground or something else.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I went over the guts pretty carefully when I got it, and it's just dawned on me that the black control box of the 6040-S80 is a different beast to earlier units.

On mine, the earth on the IEC socket goes to a metal line filter which is bolted to the case, and both the casing of the line filter, and in turn the main case are solidly earthed (although I did add a star washer under one side of the filter just to guarantee conductivity). I also added a connection from earth to the PE terminal of the Nowforever VFD.

However, it should be said that before doing any of these mods, the unit displayed no problems whatsoever with interference.

That's good! Your lucky the newer S80 seems to be a whole lot better. The vast majority of the blue boxes that I'm aware of, had the earth lug broken off. I think this was mainly because of the dodgy wiring/insulation methods, along with the lack of separation of digital and mains ground. So for a lot of these just hooking the earth straight up introduced noise directly on the digital ground lines.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

So he's here I jus told him to run a 20a 220 outlet with the standard plug just in case it doesn't come with a u.s. lead I can use a pic lead

I meant a PC lead sorry. Phone won't let me edit post for some reason

So this is the 20 amp 220v plug that he installed. Is the the kind of plug the machine needs?

nope this is a AU power point

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	184996

Quote Originally Posted by Adverse Effects View Post
    nope this is a AU power point

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	184996
    I live in u.s. tho

i thought AU was the only place that used 220 / 230 as a default power supply

but i could be wrong (seems to happen a lot lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodtp View Post
    A I wanted to play with Photocarve,I bought a 3040Z (small version of 6040) as my Syil is too slow and the head to heavy for the rapid up and down moves. I ordered it from lovehappyshopping. Arrived with the vertical axis shaft end 1/4" and 3/8" top plate badly bent, before it was packaged as no significant damage to packaging. Replacement ballnut and screw arrived quickly. After such an impact, I dismantled the whole machine to check for damage. There was none and the machine is a wonderfully simple but very robust bit of kit. It would be a simple job to use the mill the make a duplicate or larger model of itself. Having read the posts about the control box, I wondered how it was going to perform. However it was pretty ok, fairly accurate on positioning checks. Dont forget the cheeky way to get power to the opto isolated parallel port skt. It needs 5v stolen from the computer's USB. Saucy sods.
    The Y axis ballnut has a grease nipple screwed in, the others have screwed port, but no nipple and would need to be dismantled to get at the nipple if one is fitted.
    I purchased the same machine which should arrive in a few days. How did the machine workout for you?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Page 15 of 40 5131415161725