587,541 active members*
4,282 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Essential self-learning material for newbie?

Question Essential self-learning material for newbie?

Hi,

I'm taking a local course to become a machinist. At the moment I'm concentrating on G-code programming for a machining center. As there seems to be very limited amount of literature in my mother language (Finnish) I thought I could find much more info in English. That way I also could learn the basic terms in english for the future.

First of all. Has anyone found really good books and/or Windows software and/or web sites that lists the most common data that a machinist might need in the every day work in the workshop. Like
    - Thread info for metric and inch based screws and nuts
    - Cutting speed recommendations for the most common materials and tools. I know that there are many tool manufacturers and different kind of tools. Just to be in the right "ballpark" with almost zero experience.
    - Other vital info?
    Having all this ready when actually trying to manufacture something would speed up things.

I have succeeded in getting a minor work experience from machinist's every day work and many work places seem to have one common factor: Hurry. So depending on how well organized my future work place is, I might have to seek this info myself. So I'm trying get as much knowledge as I can during my studies, to not be a total "newbie-idiot" at the shop floor.

The most hard to find up-to-date info are all the different fixtures and good work habits that are used in machining centers nowadays. Any good resources on this area? I understand this is actually the valuable info that companies don't easily share. But maybe there is some interesting books written for this area of manufacture also?

I can do basic trigonometric calculations, draw with 2d/3d-cad-software and also do some g-code programming. Now I'm in need of good guidelines what to focus on next to really rise my value as a good-to-hire-employee? (I'm getting my hands on MasterCAM basics during this course also.)

It's so easy to forget many once read/learned skills if you don't keep yourself busy and well motivated.

Anyone in the same situation?

-pb

Here in the USA, Canada and probably Britain, the first tool to purchase is "Machinery's Handbook". Readily available from internet book sellers.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

#1. Machinery's Handbook

#2. Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A. Harvey ... ISBN 0-8311-3227-2

ASM handbooks. Pricey for the full set but pretty much every table, formula, and information on any and every metalworking process.

Just wanted to say thank you for these tips already.

-pb