587,535 active members*
3,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > gonna be a gibbs guy soon
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by double a-ron View Post
    Not only does it work but, if you have a small machine like I do (a Haas mini mill 2, with a 7 peak hp spindle) then it is a must. You program for best case scenario, like a straight line cut. The toolpath constantly adjusts feedrate and stepover to keep the spindle at full load. Not 40% then spikes at 200% then back to 40%. I keep my spindle loaded at 125% at all times. I wring every last kw out of it. And believe it or not its easier on the tool and the machine. Spikes hurt. Also, my tool life has gone through the roof. I run full depth all the time so I am always getting the most out of my end mills.

Total cost to upgrade to volumill was rather expensive. Haas got 2500 to turn on HSM and gibbs got 2800 for the volumill solids modual. Paid for it with two jobs I wouldn't even cosidered taking in if I didn't have it.

I guess I always try to buy a tool first then get into the market that requires it. Did that with the mill, lathe and software. It's hard to get into a new area and quote work if you don't have the right tools. Next up is solid surfacer and the mold industry. I'm dying to try my hand at mold making.

Ron,

What is your average price per part to your customers?

$5-10?
    $10-15?
    $15-20
    Or more?

And what is your average job lot size?
    1-20 Pcs?
    20-50 Pcs?
    50-100 Pcs.
    Or more?

Jake

It's more of a minimum than anything. I have too many people that want my work that I have a $300 minimum. I wont set up, and program a $20 part but, since the first part takes, lets say 2hrs to complete, and running say 9 more will only take another hr or so, I will offer to run 10 for that $300 minimum. In that case the part cost was only $30. I have done mill parts in a run of 10 that were $250 a piece and I have done lathe parts as cheap as $2 with a run of 200. But the minimum is always met.

Please keep in mind when I was doing everything on a Bridgeport mill and Leblond lathe that were paid off, and I was making half what I am now, the company could afford to take anything in with no minimum but, now there are payments on both cnc machines. Tooling is more expensive, and as I said the software wasn't cheap. The lathe drove the cost of the software up though, not the mill. Because of the second spindle, live tooling, barfeeder, and parts catcher, I had to go with the MTM software. The post processors alone was like 4 or 5 grand. Other wise I had into it what the other poster was quoted, about 11 for 2.5 mill.

Page 2 of 2 12