588,117 active members*
5,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > HELP! Can't Get 3D CAM to work with this simple part.

HELP! Can't Get 3D CAM to work with this simple part.

Trying to 3D cut a long thin part that is 1/8" thick and has a 3D process that has to cut a taper from a flat spot in the middle that is 40mm wide and tapers from either edge of the 40m to zero at the far ends. Then does a simple 2D profile to cut out the shape. I created a solid of the shape attached.

Also attached a zoomed in image of the solid with the flat area in the middle.

The Simulator show what the CAM calculated it should cut, which is incorrect. I switched to a bit an spacing that would show clearly what is happening with the toolpath. you can see each edge of the 40mm area where it should be flat in the middle but instead it is tapering from opposite edges in different areas along the center that should be flat. I've recreated the solid multiple times and tried different methods to cut the taper in CAD but it doesn't seem to affect what the CAM tries to do. For CAM I'm just doing a Z level rough and a Z level planar to finish it.

I can't figure out why it is ignoring the flat area in the center.

Any idea what could be wrong here? This has had me stuck for 2 days! I haven't cut a lot of parts with the 3D toolpath but I have done a few that are much more complex than this and they worked fine. Not sure if it is the boundary settings? I did the boundary based on an offset of the profile of the part like I have done with other 3D parts.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 1.jpg   Image 2.jpg   Image 3.jpg  

Re: HELP! Can't Get 3D CAM to work with this simple part.

Impossible to answer since you have told us nothing about the machine, the CAD program or the CAM program.

Cheers
    Roger

Re: HELP! Can't Get 3D CAM to work with this simple part.

Roger,

I thought this was the BobCAD/CAM forum? Sorry for the confusion. I just figured out the issue this evening. Thanks for the help.