588,513 active members*
4,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Required WindowsXP Files to Install Mach3

My XP-PRO is installed in an Oracle VirtualBox located inside my Windows10 PRO desktop. The desktop is NOT connected to the Internet and during the Mach3 installation I came to a window which stated additional Windows files are required like "...MS Visual C++ Runtime Libraries, WinASPI 32 etc....". These files were not installed since I'm not on Internet but the installation finished and now Mach3 works and the Mach3 driver test shows all is good to go. However this install is on a new cnc mill and I have problems getting the BOB to see Mach3 and I wonder if the missing Windows files may be the cause of the problem. So I'm asking:

Are the missing Windows files required to run Mach3 and if yes how many files are required and where I can get them so I can manually install them.

Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: Required WindowsXP Files to Install Mach3

You need the visual c++ runtime libraries and you can download them from the internet. Look for the Windows XP version. Mach3 is written in c++

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    You need the visual c++ runtime libraries and you can download them from the internet. Look for the Windows XP version. Mach3 is written in c++
    Many thanks, I will do so
    Nicolas

I thought it will be an easy task to find what I need but I was wrong. What I need for my XP-PRO is the file :Visual Studio2019 Version 16.7. There are many entries of this file on the web but none has a download of it.

Anyone knows where/how I can get this file?

Thank you
    Nicolas

Strange, in my experience, Mach3 does not need any additional libraries. Neither in WinXP nor in Win7.

I just tried a fresh installation of Windows XP Professional 2002 SP1 and Mach3 R3.043.062. Never asked me for any files.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Strange, in my experience, Mach3 does not need any additional libraries. Neither in WinXP nor in Win7. I just tried a fresh installation of Windows XP Professional 2002 SP1 and Mach3 R3.043.062. Never asked me for any files.
    No idea why it happens to you CitizenOfDreams but in my experience I always noticed during Mach3 installation the window which says, forget the exact words, something needs to download libraries.

I was able to connect the desktop to the Internet last night, uninstalled Mach3, reboot, re install Mach3, and the window came up again downloading C++ etc. and it was all done in a few seconds.

Now I'm all set
    Nicolas

Could it be that you have an older version of WinXP? It's possible that SP1/SP2/SP3 already have the runtime libraries in question.

Out of curiosity, which controller do you have, and how exactly are you connecting to it from a virtual machine? I don't think a parallel port can be virtualized for high frequency bit-banging, or can it?

Could it be that you have an older version of WinXP? It's possible that SP1/SP2/SP3 already have the runtime libraries in question. Out of curiosity, which controller do you have, and how exactly are you connecting to it from a virtual machine? I don't think a parallel port can be virtualized for high frequency bit-banging, or can it?
    I have the Windows XP professional DVD, includes service pack2 version 2002 (for distribution with a new PC only).

In the Oracle Virtual Machine I installed the XP Pro and in the XP-Pro I installed Mach3. My cnc has a Chinese BOB I purchased and it connects all the electronics to Mach3.

I have been trying for a few days now to get the BOB to communicate with Mach3 without success. I know you are good in electronics, do you have the time to give me a hand?

Thanks
    Nicolas

Hi,
    if I recall correctly Mach3 requires .NET3 and maybe even .NET4 Windows XP extensions to operate.

Is there a reason that you are trying to use Mach3/parallel port/Windows XP???? This combination is now 20+ years old. There are vastly better combinations than that.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi, if I recall correctly Mach3 requires .NET3 and maybe even .NET4 Windows XP extensions to operate. Is there a reason that you are trying to use Mach3/parallel port/Windows XP???? This combination is now 20+ years old. There are vastly better combinations than that. Craig
    Perhaps I'm getting too old Craig and I shouldn't do what I'm doing but the .NET3 or 4 rings a bell but I don't really know what it means. I know is related to Windows but nothing more.

In any case the XP-PRO I have I use it before for my previous cnc machines and never had a problem. My last cnc I used the same XP-PRO but I also had Wrap9 ESS which besides been very expensive I had a heck of a time to get it going so this time I decided to go to what they say "...the older the OS and PC the better for Mach3"

Please let me know what I miss

Thanks
    Nicolas

Hi.
    the .NET extensions were libraries added to the basic XP OS that offered functionality that Mach3 requires. You want Mach3 to run you will need those libraries....ends of story.

All development on Mach3 ceased nine years ago. It still works but whatever bugs it has its stuck with and eventually there will be some OS quirk that stops it completely unless your are prepared to
    run archaic XP.

Mach4 is current is my recommendation and paired with an ESS and MB3 breakout board. UCCNC and any one of the CNCDrive compatible motion controllers is another good alternative. LinuxCNC with one
    of the Mesa boards is good. Centroid Acorn is better than Mach3.

Craig

I am aware that Mach3 is now old but since I have the license I don't want to spend the money to get Mach4. What I do is hobby work and Mach3 is enough.

So that must be the reason why I cant get my BOB to communicate with Mach3.

I will search and find out how to install the. .NET3 or 4

Many thanks
    Nicolas
    Nicolas

Hi,

I don't want to spend the money to get Mach4. What I do is hobby work and Mach3 is enough.
    If you don't want to spend money then LinuxCNC is free and open source.

So that must be the reason why I cant get my BOB to communicate with Mach3.
    Its less likely that Mach3 cannot communicate with the BoB , but rather that the parallel port driver is not running. Have you run DriverTest.exe?

Good luck.

Craig

I did try LinuxCNC a few years back but gave up, way too complicated to learn especially since I have Mach3

Yes I did try the DriverTest.exe and all is fine. It said something like "...Mach3 is in control.."

Thanks
    Nicolas

Hi,

It said something like "...Mach3 is in control.."
    This is the motion controller we are talking about here, the absolute heart of the whole thing, and you think 'Mach3 is in control' is an adequate report on the status
    of the motion control???

Craig

You try now to confuse me Craig? lol, you asked me if I did the DriverTest and I said yes.
    What else I should do?
    Nicolas

Hi,
    for crying out loud, this is the parallel port motion controller.......and all you can tell me is its operating! Do you mean to tell me that after using Mach3 for how many years that you've never considered how it
    produces motion pulses?

What kernel speed.? What jitter? Can you increase the kernel speed to 45k or maybe 60k? What is the jitter then?

Craig

Well you never asked about them Craig and never thought will be important, sorry.

I know kernel speed is about 25000, I go by memory the cnc PC is in the shop, and the jitter never paid attention to that number.

Never tried to increase the kernel speed, never had the need but I remember it is possible

Motion pulses? no I never bother, as long as it works its fine with me. So many other things to take care.....

You are very knowledgeable Craig and good with numbers and I appreciate your qualities.
    Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    In the Oracle Virtual Machine I installed the XP Pro and in the XP-Pro I installed Mach3. My cnc has a Chinese BOB I purchased and it connects all the electronics to Mach3.

I have been trying for a few days now to get the BOB to communicate with Mach3 without success.
    I suspect what you are trying to achieve is not possible. A virtual machine cannot possibly bit-bang the host's parallel port 25000 times a second. Even if VirtualBox supported parallel ports, which it does not.

I suspect what you are trying to achieve is not possible. A virtual machine cannot possibly bit-bang the host's parallel port 25000 times a second. Even if VirtualBox supported parallel ports, which it does not.
    Your answer CitizenOfDream reminded me that I never had a cnc running on a VirtualBox and so that's my problem. Getting a new(used) PC to run Mach3 is impossible so the alternative is to get an external motion controller which should be good to connect either of the 2 BOB's I have as per attached pic. The BOB with 1 relay I bought from Australia but had no printer cable so I bought on line the BOB with the 3 relays which included the printer cable. Any suggestion which motion controller will be the best?

I also assume that my desktop with Windows10-PRO 62bit will be able to rum Mach3 with an external motion controller

Thank you
    Nicolas