I am currently testing my controller's (Masso G3) new beta software release (v5.100b) which adds tool changer logic for a variety of new types - I am considering designing and building a pop-up type.

I have attached an image that the Masso online manual uses to show this type, and I am hoping someone can confirm the operation of the tool change mechanics in such a tool changer.

Here is a link to the manual's page for reference: https://docs.masso.com.au/wiring-and...p-tool-changer

It looks like the rack with tool cups moves side to side - I assume using servo/steppers or Ac/Dc motors - and the proper cup is placed above a pneumatic arm or rod that raises it up. I believe this is like a pick and place only the XYZ location is fixed, and it is the tool that is moved to this location to meet the spindle, rather than the spindle moving to meet the correct tool.

Is this description correct?

If so, I assume after homing the motor/pop-up tool rack, the controller uses step/dir (or encoder) information to move the proper cup to the pick-up point above the pneumatic 'lifter'.
Is this correct?

I appreciate any feedback that forum members are able to offer, and would be excited to learn if any of you are using this type of tool changer.

Tom