587,999 active members*
2,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Looking for help with Ultra3000 driver and installing an encoder

Looking for help with Ultra3000 driver and installing an encoder

Hows it going. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this project of mine where I’m trying to install and configure an encoder for the first time on a spindle? The reason for wanting to do this originally was that when using the spindle in PWM it only had the option for 5 different speeds and they all acted weird with horrible oscillations to the point that the speeds were unusable for anything. Anyways here’s a list of the hardware, software and problems I’m having.

Hardware:
    Mesa 7996s - Motion Control Board
    Ultra3000 – Spindle Drive
    AMT312Q – Encoder
    Generic 300v BLDC Motor – Spindle Motor
    AMT-PGRM – Encoder Programming Module
    RaspberyPi 4 – Computer System Interface
    HY1803D – DC Power Supply

Software:
    LinuxCNC – Operating System
    UltraWare – Spindle Drive Configuration Software
    AMTViewpoint – Encoder Configuration Software

Issues/Problem:

1. The fist problem and it may not even be a problem is when I energize the U3K both the Green and Red led's are blinking. I looked up what this message indicates and in the manual it says that unit is ‘Self Testing’ or ‘Self-test in progress’ and that the resolution to the problem is to wait. I have left the drive on all night once and in the morning both the led's were still blinking. Is it possible this is a bad U3K unit or is this typically how they behave when it has not received any input?

2. My second problem is in Pncconf after I set one of the axis outputs to become Spindle Step/Dir then continue through till I get the Spindle Motor configuration page and click the ‘Open Loop Test’ button I get the error: “You must designate a ENCODER / RESLOVER signal and an ANALOG SPINDLE for this test. I thought open loop didn’t require any encoders or resolvers though? Anyways I’m really confused as to how to set this up to at least generate a test signal to see if it stops the blinking led's like in issue 1 with the U3K.

3. Third is more of an electrical type issue but the encode that I’m planning on installing requires calibrating or “Zeroing” and the procedure it calls for is that I’m to apply positive voltage the Phase 1/U wire and ground to the Phase 2/V wire and leave the Phase 3/W wire disconnected. Doing this should cause the motor to rotate slightly and then lock into a fix position. With the motor locked/braked I am then supposed to send the encoder the calibrate to Zero command using the AMTViewpoint software. This should successfully calibrate the encoder to synchronize and work with the motor. My problem with this is I don’t have enough electrical background knowledge to figure out what a safe voltage and amperage is to apply to the motor. The last thing I want is to burn up the windings. I do have a HY1803D DC power supply that I can attempt it with that’s adjustable 0-18V and 3A max. Would this power supply be efficient enough to lock the motor and what would be a safe setting to do it at?

Anyways if anyone is familiar with any of the hardware or programs I’m working with please respond to my post id really appreciate it or any input or assistance on what I’m trying to do here. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240522_184638.jpg   20240522_184852.jpg   20240522_185059.jpg   20240522_185147.jpg  

20240522_185253.jpg   20240522_185112.jpg   ss.jpg