588,240 active members*
4,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > .125" Polycarbonate Routing tools

Question .125" Polycarbonate Routing tools

I currently run Onsrud 63-762 single O flute bits on my Multicam router but have been having very inconsistent cut quality. I've tried to get my operators to be more diligent about resurfacing the spoilboard before they run Poly, but it doesn't usually stick. Even at times with a freshly resurfaced spoilboard the quality won't be up to my standard. We've also noticed we're breaking these tools more frequently than what seems normal. My first instinct, especially since it won't interfere with any of our products, is to upgrade to a .25" bit from the same product line, and possibly take 2 passes. Despite the fact that 2 depth cuts seems ridiculous to me for .125" stock, I'm not really sure where else to make my adjustments. I'm currently running that Onsrud 63-762 at 20000 RPM and 100 IPM, which puts my FPT at 0.005, and the recommended chip load range for those is 0.004-0.006. When it does cut well, it's absolutely beautiful, but when it doesn't, it looks horrific and has been known to actually crack the sheet a little bit.

If anybody has any input on what I might be doing wrong, or what tools you would recommend, please let me know because I'm about at my wits end over here. If it was consistently one thing or another, I'd feel more confident about what the actual problem might be, but because of the vast inconsistency, I'm much less inclined to believe it's any one thing or another.

Thanks in advance for any input

Re: .125" Polycarbonate Routing tools

Hi,
    i always use flood coolant on plastics....any plastics. Night and day difference.

Craig

Re: .125" Polycarbonate Routing tools

I used to use Closed-Cell-Sponge-O-ring-Cord.html in a track groove milled into the board. Vastly improves holding. As the last post says use coolant. I was doing food grade parts so I used clear water. O-flute are nice but for thin material I used compression flute mills. Compression Flute Mill They help keep the material flat down on the board.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."