587,192 active members*
2,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cleveland ohio area

I'm in the cleveland west area. I would like to help and be helped with building a cnc router. I have some parts at my disposal and 30 years experience machine building. I do not have a milling machine so most of my projects are sometimes limited. Tools I do have for building or helping with others are a table saw, planer,jointer, router, enco compact 5 lathe, drill press, welder, torches etc.
    I use autocad and solidworks.
    My complete knoledge of cnc controls to control a cnc machine is in need of some help. So maybe I can help with some of the mechanical parts for someone in exchange for them helping me.

Has anyone responded by pm or email? Just curious...it seems like an awful lot of views with no replies.

I am in the same boat as you, but without the machining experience. I have the parts but have not completed my router(s) yet. Havent got to the electronics and software. I am about 35 min SE of cleveland.

you could also ask whatever questions you have on this board.

good luck on your router.

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I am in the same boat as you, but without the machining experience. I have the parts but have not completed my router(s) yet. Havent got to the electronics and software. I am about 35 min SE of cleveland.

you could also ask whatever questions you have on this board.

good luck on your router.

Jim.
    Maybe you guys can still help each other get your machines built...

I have not had any replys yet. I have the ability to design a machine with no problems. Probably much better than the economy styles some are making. Most of my machining will be in wax or foam so it does not have to be solid like cast iron or a weldment.
    Time will tell if someone is interested in getting together to help each other out.

I'd offer but I am out of town at the moment. Won't be back until beginning May. After that I'd certainly be interested.

What size of router are you planning?

Jim.

I'm planning on a 48 x 60 bridge type that will later be converted to 5 axis. I have all the woodworking tools needed and have some ideas on boxing mdf to make it ridgid. No work has been started yrt except some of the preliminary drawings to make some of the frame parts. I will watch this thread and see when you are back in town and maybe get together and talk designs.

Little late perhaps, but fwiw; I'm located about an hour south of Cleveland (44666) and I currently have a entire 4'x8' bed router and steppers that I just need to purchase drivers for to get it running. I didn't build the machine, I bought it for scrap price from my employeer, but it's a very simply designed machine, could probably be built with a few orders from MSC or similar. I've spent quite a bit of time setting up and programming CNC routers and lasers for woodworking (currently running 11 routers and 12 lasers). Some of these are large tool changers with cast parts that weigh a few tons, but I've spent most of my time with the smaller, almost hobby level, machines.
    Anyways, just throwing it out there, if I can be of any help. If you're in the area, let me know and I'll give you a tour :cheers:

Cool. I have a plywood framed router that is nearly finished, Just need to hook up the motors, geckos, and power supply. I am also collecting parts for a 5'x5' router that will have a steel frame and use 76" IKO slides that I got for dirt cheap. Plus I have parts to make a couple of small size routers. The biggest hurdle for me will be setting up the software and learning cad to produce what I want to make as well has learning the machine capabilities such as feeds and speeds.

What software are you go to use on your personal machine? You say it is a simply built machine, What kind of slide bearings are on it? What is used for drive, rack or ballscrew? Just curious if this is a shopbot style router? Wish I knew someone to get a router for scrap price...

Jimbo,

I'll probably just start off borrowing a copy of CNC Controller (old DOS based stuff, but nice and reliable) and EnRoute from work to stay on familiar territory to get it going, but I'll check around a little bit, maybe give Turbo CNC a shot?

The slides are made from a pice of aluminum, about .25 tall, 3" wide, and as long as the rails with a groove cut in both sides for a hardened steel rod to be pressed in. Bearings with a rounded groove in the center are used on either side of this to squeeze it together and support the bridge. The bearings are mounted using eccentric bolts for adjustment. There are two bearings on each side of each rail (eight bearings total). It's sounds a bit weird, since that's a lot of weight to be supported sideways on the bearing, but they work pretty good, lots of hours until they need replaced, and they're easy to replace also. The X, Y, and Z all work the same.
    Everything is geared down with a short belt drive to a rack and pinion as well, good solution for X and Y, kind of a bummer for Z, if you lose power to the driver the head will drop like a rock!
    The frame is entirely made up of aluminum I-beams. The rails are something like 6" wide x 10" tall beams with smaller ones across for support.
    All that metal is certainly going to cost more than a wooden machine, but it will also hold tolerences much better. It's been used only for wood, but I'm intending to do more aluminum work than anything (custom ATV/Motorcycle/whatever brackets, engine side covers, skid plates) I'll probably end up setting up my own anodizing line while I'm at it, if I'm going to jump in, why not go all the way?
    Chances are really good that we'll be upgrading and will have another similar machine for sale in 2006 sometime. I'll be sure to post it here (if I don't decide I need another machine by then)

fgeiser,

very nice. Those bearings sound pretty effective and low cost. I forgot to ask what spindle are you using. A hand held router or something bigger?

the 5x5 router that I am planning to build will be multipurpose, mostly foam, wood and aluminum. I am considering a 3-5hp fimec/ekstrom carlson spindle that another board member pointed out or something similar. I still have a ways to go yet, I need ballscrews, servos, drives, and some steel for the frame.

fgeiser, If i can pick your brain some more. I am also looking into dust collection and vacuum holddown. Do you use either? For dust collection was just considering a cyclone system. BUt for vacuum hold down, what kind of pump do I need and how many horsepower? Any ideas for the table surface, just a grid with o-rings and small holes for vacuum? thanks, Jim.

I need to get a spindle yet. It's got mounting clamps already made for a Porter-Cable handheld router, so I'll probably go that direction. Noisy, but they work fairly well. If I had more money, I'd go with a Perske high speed spindle and inverter, but that won't happen for a while.

We made it a long time using Grizzly dust collectors on each machine, a 3HP, two bag unit works pretty nicely for a single machine and only costs $479 For a 5x5 table, you could probably get buy with 1.5HP unit even. I think a cyclone setup is kind of overkill for a cnc router, you probably won't ever make chunks big enough to drop out of the cyclone, I would just stick with plain old bags; cheap, easy, 'nuff said.

Depending on what you're trying to hold down, there are two different ways to go about vacuum hold down: high vacuum or high airflow.
    For small parts that are difficult to hold down, we mill the table with lots of .25" grooves, about 1" apart with a foam gasket around the outside. Then we use 1/4" Masonite (generically: tempered hardboard) to make a jig for each piece. We run the file with the bit just skimming the masonite to trace an outline, then gasket around the inside of that and drill a few holes to let the vacuum through. This holds very strongly with a 7HP rotary vane pump.
    The other way (which is a lot simpler) is to use a piece of 1/2" MDF as a sacrifice board instead of the masonite, and just suck straight through it, no holes or gaskets needed. This works really well when we just throw a 4'x8' sheet of MDF on and mill out all the parts we need. It's not so great for small pieces though, as you probably need to cover up the unused section of sacrifice board. A 15HP regenerative blower works well for a 4x8 table, you could probably use a 10 or even a 7 if you are mostly running foam.
    It's nice if you divide the table into quarters and put a different valve on each, so if you are running a small piece, you don't have to worry about the 3/4 of the table that is unused.

At home, I probably won't have either vacuum or dust collection to start with, vacuum won't work for aluminum, and a shopvac will do the cleanup.

Talking Cnc Newbie

Hey guys I'm new here and just getting into this home built CNC thing. :drowning:
    I live 45 minutes S.E. of the Cleveland area, right off Interstate 80 / 76.
    I have plans in the works for either a 4' x 4' or 4' x 8' table. The only difference I can see is the lenghth of the main rails. Many questions regarding construction. Mainly the size of the stepper motors I will need. I am currently considering 640 oz. motors. I will be doing wood, and Signfome® projects primarily, but might step up to doing billet alluminum parts for the street rod industry.
    I am currently trying to learn ArtCam PRO software. This is a top of the line 3D program that has more bells and whistles than mice have kids.
    I have located most of the metal for my framework, and at less than 250.00 I think it is a bargin. I still am reviewing different plans for the gantry system, and could use some real help on deciding what kind of guides and drive system to use. (ie rack and pinion, or ball screw). I want a tight machine, .001 or better.

Thanks for any help or replies.
    P.S. do any of you want to get together to discuss ideas?

welcome bob,
    I too am undecided on how to build the frame of my 5x5. I have a piece of of 8"x8" .375 wall steel sqare tubing that I am going to use for the gantry, that alone is around 250 lbs. The rest is undecided, including how much z clearance to have. As far as ballscrews or rack, I am sure you are aware of hte pro and cons of each. I think .001 is about the limit for a finely tuned rack system, but higher backlash and lower costs need to be considered. For mine, I am going to go with a dual ballscrew with slaved servos in the style of bloy2004. I haven't even drawn my plans up but I like the routers made by madvac and moondog. Where did you get your steel if you care to divulge? What tools to you have? I really need to purchase a bridgeport milling machine or similar, but am going to have to wait until I purchase a house so I have space to breathe.

Jim.

Jimbo:
    I am planning on using industrial pallet racking. There is a place about 20 miles or less from where I live that sells used (reconditioned) pallet racks. The ones I am considering are 60" deep by up to 14' high. The cross beams are step formed beams that are up to 10' long. With a little cutting and welding I can build a 5'x10' table with upper and lowed decks so I can adjust the "Z" axis as needed.
    Can you give more details as to the "plans" or routers you mentioned from { moondog, bloy 2004, and madvac,} where are the pictures or plans?

Thanks.
    Bob

Those are members of this site, below are links to their router builds, no plans though. It will take some time to read it all!

Moondog http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5017
    Madvac http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11024
    Bloy2004 http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5049

I have seen pallet racking before and wondered about using it. I didnt want all the holes though.

You folks need to check out Electronic Surplus Inc in Cleveland on E. 55Th St (easy access off of I-77N). They have TONS of neat electronic and mechanicla stuff that may help you build what you're talking about building.

Visited the place every Saturday for years when I lived in Cleveland and they had a downtown store. Yes they have a website but you really need to visit. Many uncataloged GEMS.

Enjoy

nccams,
    I had heard about that place before. I will be visiting it soon to look for an oscilloscope so I can tune my geckos.

bob,
    Did you get a chance to look through those links? Also, I forgot to respond to your idea for a meeting. I am just an amateur at this point but would like to hear others ideas as well. It seems that there are four of us within a hours or less drive (any others would also be welcome). I would be up for it. lmk.

fgeiser:
    I live in Berlin Center, and was wondering about the router you mentioned in one of your posts. Do you have any photos of it yu could post? It sounds like the type of router I am trying to build. You also mentioned about a "tour"? where do you live? would you be available for me to talk about my plans, and what I might be able to help you with?

Give me a shout!
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12