587,136 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Text Engraving - First time

Hello,
    I am trying to engrave text for the first time and am having alot of trouble.
    I tried just putting text on the face of a cube, but it goes on upside down everytime. The 'flip vertical' buttons are greyed out so I cannot use.
    With it upside down, the rotate feature does not work, I put in a 180 degree rotate after defining the rotate point, but nothing happens.
    I also cannot use the smart dimension tool to position it exactly where I want, it will not let me select the text at all, not even if I 'edit sketch'.

I created an open, horizontal line on the face and got the text to stick to it using the 'curves' feature in the text menu... this way the text is aligned properly, but then I cannot extrude it or make toolpaths.

What am I missing?

You need to add text in the design model. I am assuming you have a sketch at the bottom of the tree, delete it and open up the design model and lay it out their then close it. For the toolpath, select profile toolpath if its simple on the surface and define geometery-click (multi-chain/add) then "text" check box. Mouse over until you see the big "A" and text is highlighted, click and you are good to go.

If you still have a problem post your file.

Ok I tried following your instructions, but didnt make any progress.

Heres what im doing:
    Step 1 - Create stock (smart dimension 100mm x 100mm) see pic 1
    Step 2 - Create Text, see pic 2
    Step 3 - Move text, See pic 3
    Step 4 - Extrude object 10mm tall See pics 4 & 5
    And the text has now disappeared

I also tried going steps 1, 4, 2, 3.... so the object was extruded prior to making text.... text was made within the object sketch, but still disappears. The text is not available to add to geometry in SolidCAM, it has disappeared completely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  

The reason it will not extrude is because it is a line font. You have two choices (a) to use the "Wrap" function in SolidWorks to scribe the font onto the face in question or (b) use your sketch as SolidCAM geometry and set the engraving depth in the CAM. In fact, there is a third choice which is change the font to a true-type font such as "Arial" and then extrude it as you were doing originally. Trouble with that is when you come to engrave it with SolidCAM the geometry will be the outline of the letter.

On my parts we engrave the part number for recognition, so to do this I just use an arial font and select a face on the part and write the text on there. I don't extrude, or cut it, just leave it as text and then select it as a profile.

As Bob says if it's a true type font it will cut round the outline, so to stop this we sketch a "line font" inside the true font and select this as the profile geometry. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
    As Bob says if it's a true type font it will cut round the outline, so to stop this we sketch a "line font" inside the true font and select this as the profile geometry. Works fine.
    Not to hijack this thread, are you drawing the stick letters by hand or what? I have yet to find to find the "basic stick" character set and only need to single pass the text with a small ball nose.

I've had no luck finding a stick font, so I just use whatever true type font I want to use and then spend a little time drawing a single line font inside this for the cutter to follow.

Not the fastest way, but since our parts just need an 8 figure code it's not a long process.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpatt View Post
    I've had no luck finding a stick font, so I just use whatever true type font I want to use and then spend a little time drawing a single line font inside this for the cutter to follow.

Not the fastest way, but since our parts just need an 8 figure code it's not a long process.
    Stick fonts would be nice in SolidCam, I do have stick fonts in MasterCrap X3 just don't have a clue how to move them to Solidcam. If someone knew how to do that they would make a lot of new friends!!!

The font I was using is "DPS Schrift Single", one of the only single lines I could find.
    I found this video that helped me get text working, I have finally created toolpaths. Alignment is a nightmare though.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVDHC5iVfGQ"]YouTube - ‪SolidWorks Tutorial: Adding text to a surface‬‏[/nomedia]

One problem with that DPS Schrift font, its all open contours and I could not get wrap, extrude or split line to take... kept giving 'cannot use open contours' errors. So I have to use a different font.
    With a closed contour font, I was able to make good toolpaths using pocket.

Now I just need to figure out alignment.
    I found how to choose an edge to align it to, but it will not allow me to offset. On letters such as "g", the bottom half hangs over the aligned edge and off the stock... so that feature is useless.
    I tried creating a single line, then a rectangle to where I wanted the text to really align to... but for some reason lines, rectangles, even extruded cuts are not selectable in the 'curves' align text feature... only the edge of the main object that the text was drawn on.
    Seems to me they didnt do very well on designing the text functions.
    Any ideas?
    My text is ALWAYS upside down!
    I even created a new origin, but didnt help at all.

Well silly me. I had no idea about that font so I just searched my computer and found it. I'll be trying that font very shortly ;-)

Thank you.

Stick font

Stick font for solidcam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Middleby View Post
    Stick font for solidcam
    Thank you for posting the font, how is it installed in SolidCam? Would you be able to post an uncompressed file. Our network blocks all .zip type compressed files.

You need to make the test in Solidworks (as far as I am aware) and then use the text as your geometry in Solidcam.

When you write the text in SW just just choose the font you need.

The DPS Schrift Single font must install itself when you install SC as when I looked in the C/WINDOWS/FONTS folder, there it was (take a look yourself). So I just went back to SW and used that font to write some text. It needed a little manipulation (spacing) to get it as I wanted but simple enough.

You need to install the font in the windows font folder and then when you make a sketch in solidworks choose the stick font you want. stick font is a true type with the lines on top of each other. stick font can not be extruded it is only for engraving in solidcam

I was looking in that folder and did not find the MasterCrap X3 stick fonts, after searching the mcamx/common/fonts their fonts are in a .mcx and .fnt format so they must have created them in their enviroment. It would be super cool to have their fonts in Solidcam because for single pointing they are perfect and when I need to do laser engraving / cutting they are perfect. A wishlist request from Solicam would be more stick fonts and manipulation control for them. Not complaining at all because since we switched to SolidCam our productivity has increased several fold, I am just wanting a little more icing on the perfect cake....