587,830 active members*
2,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle problem?

Hi,

I've been given a spindle. It came from a milling machine at a friends work. It's large and thats the problem. It's got a 40 taper and weighs 30Kg's and a smart mounting flange of 7" diameter.

My spindle drive motor is powerful enough and I think the servo motors and rutex drives could handle it geared down. If I counter balanced the spindle using my current y-frame and HSR25's; the complete weight of my y-axis frame will be in excess of 170Kg. Is this normal?

Should I use this nice present or dump it and look for a smaller one? Please expand on your reasons for or against...

Dan

I will allow you to 'dump' it on me if you go that route

Is this being used on a router or on a mill? what is the construction of the machine?

Jon

It's a kind of both but if pushed its a mill. However I don't need the power or size of the machine the original spindle was ment for and I was going to use a smaller ER16 collet spindle I had purchased off ebay.

I want to mill moulds from aluminum and mild steel; also route out box shapes, letters etc. in large sheets of stainless 304 (2mm thick) for table tops and signs.

Construction. I don't have the space to make the table move and have the tool head stationary so I've gone for the large table router style design. Large (1700mm) x-axis and 950mm y axis.

The y-axis which is solid steel square section construction is made and now I've been given this large spindle I'm thinking of redesigning?

Dan