587,472 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser safety glasses

I need to get safety glasses for me and my employees to use when operating a 100w 10.6um co2 laser cutter. I'm struggling to understand the finer details of EN207 (Euro eye safety standard) and applying it to a laser cutter scenario. Europe and Australia have this standard and it's stricter than simply getting sufficient optical density glasses for the appropriate laser wavelength. The standard requires the safety glasses to withstand a direct hit for 10 seconds, at a given wavelength and power. When I try to calculate the required protection code (ie L5 or LB5) I'm unsure whether the focused beam size is to be used or the out of focus diverged beam size? The power densities are so vastly different at focal point and beyond. Using the focused beam size in the calculations means there are no suitable glasses to buy (D10600 L7 or LB7). Common sense says that you wouldn't ever focus the beam on the safety glasses, but with unknown divergence, it's difficult to know the laser power density to apply. I know many threads state that any lab glasses will do, and for the odd stray beam this may be true. I employ staff and I need to make sure the health and safety box is ticked. Any guidance would be very helpful.
    cuttingedgecnc.co.uk
    [email protected]

Re: Laser safety glasses

We have a 3KW co2 at work and I certainly would not trust my eyeballs to lab glasses.
    You need the correct protection for the laser.
    We have safety glasses provided by a company called laser vision. I think what we did was contact them with our laser specs and go by their recommendations but that was a while ago so I cant remember correctly.
    You could give them a try and see what they say.

Hi, Yurtman
    I have checked a Chinese company. Maybe the glasses are suitable for what you want. The material of the glasses is made of polycarbonate (PC) and absorbing material of specific wavelength. The glasses can protect diffuse reflection light. And it can safeguard light of specific wavelength. The glasses has passed through the standard of EN207.
    The following is the parameter of the glasses:
    Protecting wavelength:10600nm;
    Optic density:4
    Applied laser:CO2

If you are interested in the glasses, please be free to contact with me:[email protected].

Thanks for the responses. Liyalaser, do the glasses have the necessary EN markings: 'D >1400nm to 1000 microns LB5'?

On another note, can anyone direct me to the specs of a RECI S4 laser where it indicates the beam width?
    cuttingedgecnc.co.uk
    [email protected]

I have been in contact with the sales and marketing manager of Noir laser. They have been very helpful and provided very thorough information on their products. I'm ordering some of their EC2 lenses which are well prices at $90 per pair. These have a BL3 rating for 10.6um wavelength and a OD7 rating. I feel confident in a real world situation, these will offer good protection.
    cuttingedgecnc.co.uk
    [email protected]

HI, Yurtman
    Sorry I replied so late. Congratulations for your ordering. I have checked that the glasses do not have the EN markings of what your requirement. The glasses only have the protecting wavelength of 10600nm, and the price is cheaper than that of the glasses from Noir laser.