587,752 active members*
3,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Need 4-axis kit....

hello: has anyone got a good handle on some 4-axis kits that I could use. I don't want to build curcuit board, but I do want to do the fabrication of the machine. I'm not an electrical engineer, at all. I could learn, and will learn alot but for now I just want to know if anyone has done any research on a "kit" that would include motors, drives, electronics.etc....
    I have seen a couple of kits advertised here, but I'm still not sure what type of software would interface with the different products.

heck out Hobbycnc if you are just learning like me. They sell the kit with steppers so you can build from there.
    John

Smile cnc kits

have you used any of their stuff.

Found lots of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vulcom1 View Post
    heck out Hobbycnc if you are just learning like me. They sell the kit with steppers so you can build from there.
    John
    I found all kinds of stuff online. Right now, I'm just putting together a parts list for a machine I want to build. It seems to be going well.
    Have you bought any drivers motors, kits for your cnc yet. If you get anything let me know how you like it.

4th axis

I bought a 4 axis driver board from an engineer, but you can buy DeskCNC and a 4 axis board from the DeskCNC website. DeskCNC gives you true 4 axis interpolation. This means rotational milling, not just on-centerline cutting.

From there I just bought an indexer from LittleMachineShop.com and put a stepper from Automation Direct right on the back (omit worm gear, bad backlash) using a timing belt and gears from Stock Drive Products. The whole setup runs like a Fanuc 15M with a 4th axis.

Good luck,
    -Geo

Quote Originally Posted by jetpig1 View Post
    I bought a 4 axis driver board from an engineer, but you can buy DeskCNC and a 4 axis board from the DeskCNC website. DeskCNC gives you true 4 axis interpolation. This means rotational milling, not just on-centerline cutting.

From there I just bought an indexer from LittleMachineShop.com and put a stepper from Automation Direct right on the back (omit worm gear, bad backlash) using a timing belt and gears from Stock Drive Products. The whole setup runs like a Fanuc 15M with a 4th axis.

Good luck,
    -Geo
    This indexer; attached a motor to it I need to see a picture of this setup. It sounds really interesting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indexer.jpg  

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jetpig1 View Post

Good luck,
    -Geo
    IS this it:>>>) what else does this need to attach the motors? breakout board
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails controller2.jpg   TimeBeltDrive.jpg