587,579 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Daewoo or Mazak

Hi All

I am repeating this post under this sub forum.
    We are looking to purchase a new CNC Lathe.
    We ahve looked at many brands and due to needing a machine quickly we are forced to consider on a few brands.
    I have narrowed the field to the Mazak quick turn nexus 200 (Ap $140k) and the Daewoo Puma 240LC(ap $110K) now i am aware that there is a class difference between the machines, that said I have looked over the Daewoo and it appears to be a solid machine with quality components used through out.
    I have not yet looked over the Mazak but would asume being Japanese that the same would apply, Will being looking at it on Monday.
    The Daewoo has a bigger turning capacity and has more torque down low compared to the Mazak.
    The Mazak has more overall horse power than the Daewoo.
    The parts we are to turn are Approx Dia 200.00mm in 4140 and K1045
    The daewoo has solid slides as compared to the Mazak with linear rails, I believe solid rails to be better for heavy turning compared to linear rails.
    My concerns on the Daewoo are based on the fact that they are made in Korea as opposed to the Japanese machine.
    From the photos I have seen of the Mazak stripped down it does not look as heavily constructed as the Daewoo.
    I would appreciate any feed back on both machines.
    Regards
    JBO

If it has a motor, electronics or a diamond ring, you will have problems eventually. I would take a hard look at service and dealer suppport. Mazak and Daewoo both make good equipment. The Mazak dealer in our area is not known for quality service. So, probably no Mazak for me. I have 3 Haas machines=linear ways. I don't have a problem with any of them. I say that if you are doing a lot of interrupted cuts, maybe a boxed way machine would hold up better. If you are making parts from barstock, then I don't see a problem with either. I cut 4140HT and 13CR 110 and such all day on my Haas machines without a hitch. Sometimes I have to be creative when machining certain parts, but for the most part, linear ways are fine for me. I would purchase the one you feel is best for your situation. Look at the control hard. Matrix has its advantages as does a straight G-code machine. I guess that the moral is: Chips equals money. Machines break down. If the machine breaks down, who will help you make chips again? The dealer that gets you running again is probably the machine you should buy. Forgive me for I have not had my 5Th cup of coffee yet. I have a friend with 6 Daewoo's. He runs his 24hrs/5 days a week. No problems except operator induced stupidity!

daewoo or mazak

our shop is full of Daewoo lathes and just bought a Daewoo vmc.
    OurMSB (full c axis,,live tools sub spindle ) runs lights out and weekends when possible.

That said,,,, I have always liked Mazak. I have owned many Mazak machines over the years. They are very fast and accurate I do feel however if you are doing a lot of heavy cuts with large parts you can't beat box ways.
    also Mazak pricing is pretty high.

Years ago people scoffed at Japanese built machines,,, now they are respected and a staple in many, many, shops in the USA. Now Taiwan and Korea are turning in to the Japan of years ago and are getting a reputation for quality mfg.

I really wonder if 100% of Japanese machines are actually made in Japan.
    (MAZAK IS ALSO MADE IN kENTUCKY)

Bad dOG

Mazak is also made in Singapore (or Taiwan... stripped down models for certain countries) and the UK....
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Thanks Guys

I am visiting the Mazak dealer this morning.
    The service is a concern from both companys, that said they both tell me my concerns are not valid.I have ask around and been given bad feedback for both, mostly in the past.
    I am leaning towards the Daewoo because of the solid ways and the style of work we do,the torque is better down low on the Daewoo.
    Thanks again for your feed back.
    JBO

We really wanted a Mazak back in 2001.

I was really taken by the Mazatrol control. However, after seeing our parts run on both a Mazak and a Daewoo, we went for the Daewoo based on rigidity. Slam dunk, hands down, no contest.

We bought a seat of Gibbscam and nice (manual) steady rest along with it and still did not spend what we would have on the Mazak. It's been a great machine.

I dont know the specifics on these models of machines but the Mazak will hold up better on interupted cuts and harder to machine materials. For production on mild steels and softer materials you cant go wrong with Puma. I have ran a Mazaak in the past but now Its a Puma. I'm not saying the Puma cant handle heavy materials I just don't think it will stand up over the long run. For production, its awesome it holds tolerance all day and I love it. I have a Daewoo 230, I dont know if anything has changed with it becoming Doosan.

We have 2 quick turn 250's 1 is about 2 years old the other is brand new nexus. The nexus is very sensitive to even minor bumps. just about anything can throw the tool turret and mill drill spindle out of alignment. I'm told it is designed this way to save the machine from major damage, but when a minor bump causes a day or more down time getting things realigned i sometimes wonder if it's worth the design efforts. Just a thought.

Here's one more vote for Daewoo. I have a 220A lynx. Just a little two axis lathe, but it's strong, accurate, and reliable.

We run both of these machines here:

Mazak:
    Pro. Quick and easy to program. Very accurate. User-friendly, and operators love them.
    Con. Expensive. Mazak service is appalling, you're lucky if they'll answer the phone. A little bit delicate and won't survive rough treatment.

Doosan.
    Pro. Cheap, strong, powerful. Actually bombproof, we've dropped a few heavy castings at high speed which could have destroyed the machine and it just shrugged it off. Accurate.
    Con. Fanuc control (may not be a con) means a bit harder to program. Some cheap edges wear out.

Personally, if money was no object it would be the mazak. In the real world, it would be the Doosan.