587,577 active members*
3,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Planning on building..

Hey,

I've attempted building one on my own, but i kept running into problems.. in the end i got /SOMETHING/ .. which didn't really work, and had a work surface of like.. 1.5"x2"x1" >.>

So i've decided to build this work of art, but i'm wondering how much this would cost me in the end..
    (and for the ease of working, is there a metric version of the drawings available? )

Does anyone have a rough estimate, so i know how much to put aside?

thanks!

Sidenote:
    I've been on ebay, trying to find some CNC plans on the cheap..
    Found one.. bid on it.. Turned out to be this design, trying to get it cancelled now... Wish me luck! (any suggestions if the seller refuses to accept my withdrawal request?)

Go for it:

I don't know about ebay but I have noticed on the thread the consern about this person. As to what mine cost. I am in mine in the area of $800 but it should be noted that I did not take the cheapest rout all the time and I built a cabinet for it to sit on. I am now in the process of trying to tune the motors. I am not aware of a metric set of plans. As to building ease, if you know how to use basic hand tools and pay stirct attention to measurements and cutting you should have no problem. There is a wealth of information on this site and most will help you if you ask a question. I have recieved help when I needed it and it was good help. I believe the final cost will depend on how good a scroung you are. I have placed on my thread how I did it with quite a few pictures and a list of tools I used. When I get this one working and can program it well I will build a bigger one. I hope you go for it. I really enjoyed the build. All the best. Ron.... Broken Balsa

Thanks for the reply,

The thing on ebay was indeed the JGRO design, and i got it cancelled without issues

--

I am not the best scroung, but i do have a few good connections to get me some of the more expensive parts =)

$800 isn't really a bad price for this, not to mention it's fun to do!

yet as i'm just a student, this will require some saving,.. Nevertheless i can start on it,.. should take me a while to do

--

I've noticed how kind this community is when it comes to helping others,
    it's the main reason i decided to sign up

looking forward to beeing a native member!

Question

got a lil' question here,

would I go for bearings, or would I make bushings that slide over the rails (HDPE?) instead?

Use the skate bearings that the plans cal for. Bushings are very sensitive to misalignment and binding is usually the result.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

will do, thanks for the suggestion.

-- plan on starting end of september, meanwhile i'm just gathering information, preparing and studying for my exams..