587,698 active members*
3,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Soft-surface modeling with BobArt

Soft-surface modeling with BobArt

After seeing a tutorial I did recently, using BobArt to build up a relief of a hard-surfaced object, someone asked me (lol, challenged me, really,) to try doing something soft-surfaced, and organic. I've been learning to do this sort of thing in Blender, so I thought I could make it work. Here's the result, done completely within BobCAD and BobArt. There are some errors I'd probably go back and correct if this was more than an exercise. I made the eyeball diameter too big, for one. If I could figure out a decent way to do eyelashes, I think she'd be more recognizable, but that's done from an old picture of Lucille Ball.

Attachment 190814
    Attachment 190818

I'm not saying BobArt is the best possible tool for this sort of thing, but when I compare the easy learning curve of BobArt to that of Blender, for instance, it goes a long way toward making up for the less versatile toolset. I only felt a little limited, and that's actually quite surprising. Anyway, I think BobCAD has a very good product with BobArt, and it surprises me that they don't really spend much time trumpeting the fact.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

You said you did a tutorial of BobART? Could you share it? Been trying to engrave my wifes face as a side project, but didn't get to relly look into it as much as I wanted.

By the way, you will probably have half the people on here saying "Lucille Who??" Ok, dating myself again hehe

The one I mentioned is in the <Tutorials> sub-forum here. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tutori...ng_bobart.html It covers doing a more hard-surfaced relief, of a mechanical object, though.

The basics are about the same, but with a face, you have to think in terms of masses, muscle groups, and volumes. Set up a collection of embossments that fill out the basics, then go to work with the Sculpting tool. I kept separate Sculpting features for Eyes, Nose, Lips/Face/Ear, and Hair. You spend a lot of time there, putting the small variations of texture and volume onto the Base Mesh of the embossments.

I'll probably do a tutorial on this before much longer, but I want to practice some more first. It'll be pretty long...

Luke

LOL... Of course it was easy to tell it was lucy. Nice job Trot....

Here's a sample bust anyone can use to look at sculpting. I incorporated some "wrapping" into the BobArt surface to simulate more organics.

Start with something like this in BobArt, apply some smoothing to the entire model, then add a sculpting feature and go to town...

It's interesting though what you said about BobArt. It actually would "be more for organics" than hard surfacing... Although, if you really need to make a bust in 3d, you can use a better tool for an entire 3d head, but most anrent machine entire 3d heads. Just stuff on other surfaces, which BobArt makes very easy to do.

Also with this bust setup, I could take a picture of myself and add it as a texture to the emboss. The bust would then be me....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Burr,how come I cannot do any editing to your example?

Dumb Solid ?

Ooohh! Thanks Burrman, that's very cool to have! I expect to add a 4th axis to my machine, or make a dedicated rotary machine one of these days, with that sort of work in mind. Now I have more incentive to practice I see what you mean, about BobArt and organic sculpting. I came at it from the CAD mindset, as I learn BobCAD, and I guess I just never thought about it that way. Heck, for a long time, I only used it, (badly) to vectorize images and V-carve.

jrmach, could you do any Sculpting on it, in BobArt? It's made in the latest release of BobArt, and while I don't think there are any file incompatibilities... It's a BobArt Surface, so about all that can be done with it, besides toolpathing, is to Sculpt or Smooth. It won't even select outside the context of toolpathing wizards, as far as I know. You can save it as a Component/.stl, in the latest BobArt release, and do some cool directional scaling, but that about covers it. As Burrman said, it's basically a blank mannequin, for Sculpting.

Luke

What I meant by Dumb Solid is .STL.......
    Have never tried sculpting.Just noticed I could do no further embossments on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    I expect to add a 4th axis to my machine, or make a dedicated rotary machine one of these days, with that sort of work in mind.
    Hey Trot, just so you know, you can edit the BobArt stock and untick the "wrap" and it will flatten back to just a 3d surface.....

Anyway, you could get pretty crazy with stuff. The face could be wrapped completely around a cylindrical stock! Biker bars!

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    What I meant by Dumb Solid is .STL.......
    Have never tried sculpting.Just noticed I could do no further embossments on it.
    YEs JR. The BobArt stuff will be, and act like STL surface data. But, you use BobArt to do more stuff to it. You mean you cant add any BobArt features to it and do anything?

I think it's the wrapping. I hadn't tried adding features last night, but just now, I tried, and the results were other then expected. The feature appeared away from what I thought was the correct location, just barely on the surface, and when I tried moving it, I got it off the surface entirely. I'm thinking the wrap origin might not have carried over, or something. There was a "machine does not exist" error when I first loaded, not sure if that's related. I'll construct something similar from scratch, and see how that goes.

Luke

OK, I unwrapped it, applied features, and then re-wrapped it and all went as I expected. Glad you mentioned that, Burrman, thanks

Luke

Yeah, the wrapping things takes a minute to get your head around the various axis and positioning. You might want to start a dummy project and just start jacking numbers and checking the results, because then you add in the features coordinates and things can move around again. So, lots of power to move various things around.

The Bust file I posted I didnt create or setup and stock fisrt either, and, I wrapped it in the "Y", which is kindof backwards for most machines. I just did it for the face example.

Here's a video for jrmach to look at and see if something isnt working for him.....

BobArt bust sculpt - YouTube

What I had meant is there was no individual processes to edit.Like all steps that took to make the face.You did all that then saved as a BoBART file.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    What I had meant is there was no individual processes to edit.Like all steps that took to make the face.You did all that then saved as a BoBART file.
    OIC. Well, I didnt sculpt the bust with BobArt. I just took a soft bust head I have (This is a good thing to start with if wanting to sculpt a head/face. Kindof like the little wooden stick figures. Artists start with stuff like this as a base) and made the mboss from solid/surface with BobArt, then presented the file for others as a sample to start with. Kindof like "here's a good starting point". Think of "sculpting" is like "Clay"... Throw a slab on, then rub and smooth it, then digg some out, and smooth the hole. etc.

See if you can make a skull out of it!