587,744 active members*
2,864 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > best CAM software for my diy router?
Page 1 of 2 12

best CAM software for my diy router?

im just curious as to what sort of CAM software i should look into using for my cnc router.. i used to use solidworks for modeling, but ive switched to autodesk inventor and i was looking for a good CAM program to run my machine.. any suggestions?.. open source is OK too if its good

i should mention i have a 10.2 inch netbook with a mini expresscard slot that has a serial port on it... i will be using this to plug the laptop into my CNC controller... i design things in 3D on my desktop PC, generate the G-code on the same PC, then i want to be able to transfer and store that into the laptop and run the cnc router with it....

thats what id like to accomplish, and id like to know the best way of doing this

Your CAM software decision should be based on the type of projects you will be doing. For basic 2.5D stuff you can get away with something like Cut2D. For 3D it's not as clear-cut. You can use MeshCAM or Cut3D or such for basic 3D work, but there are limitations as to how you can machine 3D shapes. Since you're using some pretty serious CAD software, you may want to use different machining strategies for different surfaces, and that can only really be accomplished by using decent (i.e. expensive) CAM software, which can cost way wmore than your machine! I had done it with Cut3D, by selecting and exporting separate surfaces from CAD, processing g-code for each, then combining the programs; then again, it's still a bit limiting. MeshCAM does offer more machining strategies for 3D stuff.

You could check out BobCAM, which you could probably wheel and deal for a good price. SprutCAM is another relatively inexpensive choice as well as VisualMill.

i looked into bobcad-cam.. looked nice, also found gibbscam and that looked really nice, anyone used it before?

Quote Originally Posted by animus_divinus View Post
    i looked into bobcad-cam.. looked nice, also found gibbscam and that looked really nice, anyone used it before?
    GibbsCAM is excellent; that is of course, if you have about $10,000 to blow. I know SurfCAM (without TrueMILL) is $10,000. OneCNC 3D Mill Advantage costs abut $2700-3000 and Mill Expert about $7000. BobCAD V24 Pro costs about $3000-4000, but I've heard it sold for under $500; their salespersons are relentless just to warn you. VisualMill Basic costs about $1000.

Have you considered cambam? CamBam CNC Software
    It's affordable at $200 and can do different machining on different surfaces with some effort, but is super quick for 2.5 d stuff

I'll throw my vote in for CUT2D or 3D from Vetric...very easy to use with great results.

Cheers'

Steve

Aspire from Vectric is also a good choice. Like they said Bobcam will pester you to death trying to get you to buy. I requested some info 5 years ago and still get phone calls and emails begging me to buy their software.

I have a DIY router and I use SheetCam. One of the best things about it is the author is very active and never fails to respond to one of my questions even if it's right there in the manual or help files.

The Vectric software has a nice forum and their support is top notch. You can download trial versions of all their software and try it but you can only make cut files om their samples.

yeah.. im going to have to try out some trials, i dont think that i can spend so much on something ive never even tried

I own copies of Visual Mill, Meshcam, OneCNC, Cut3D and VCarve Pro.
    I do my modeling of most stuff in SW.
    I find myself using VCarve Pro all the time since it just works and if you have a problem the support forum answers your question promptly.
    Can't give OneCNC glowing reports. I gave up using it when I was unable to get simple things to work.

Vectric products I guess are sort of like Apple products, they are easy to use and they work.

That being said many people seem to get great results from CamBam.
    Do lots of demo's and if you can't try out your stuff don't buy it. Otherwise you will have as many pieces of expensive software titles sitting collecting dust as I do.
    Dave

im downloading a few demos now to try out.. see how they work, generate some simple g-codes and see how they work in a cnc simulator... i guess i have a lot of software to try, so thanks for the help everyone

Quote Originally Posted by dfmiller View Post
    I own copies of Visual Mill, Meshcam, OneCNC, Cut3D and VCarve Pro.
    I do my modeling of most stuff in SW.
    I find myself using VCarve Pro all the time since it just works and if you have a problem the support forum answers your question promptly.
    Can't give OneCNC glowing reports. I gave up using it when I was unable to get simple things to work.

Vectric products I guess are sort of like Apple products, they are easy to use and they work.

That being said many people seem to get great results from CamBam.
    Do lots of demo's and if you can't try out your stuff don't buy it. Otherwise you will have as many pieces of expensive software titles sitting collecting dust as I do.
    Dave
    I agree that VCarve Pro is very easy to use. But if you need to machine 3D surfaces you cannot do it with VCarve Pro. You also cannot create machine paths off a solid model with VCarve Pro. In fact, if one has good 2D CAD software and has no need for v-carved text, then Cut2D would suffice. For full 3D machining you'd need at least CamBam, MeshCAM, or Cut3D; and like I mentioned, unless you're doing mainly artsy stuff (which you probably wouldn't do in SolidWorks) then you'll find those 3 software a bit limiting; though MeshCAM does have many more toolpath strategies than Cut3D or even CamBam.

I have to disagree with your assessment of OneCNC. I was able to create toolpaths with both 2D and 3D objects, in under an hour, without reading any literature or using the help files. Also the high speed toolpaths have been a huge help to me when machining materials not normally done on a home-brew CNC, like aluminum. I've easily doubled my feedrate, and in some cases, I can even set my depth to 1xD like with the "clean circle" toolpath; I find it faster now to pocket out large holes than use an inside profile toolpath. I will say if you work mostly with .stl files then OneCNC may not be the best option though it can handle them.

Louie,
    I am glad you like OneCNC.
    I don't.
    Paid far too much for something that did not work.
    I stopped updating after XR3.
    The 3D part that made me give up has been passed to several other users and they were not able to get it to machine properly. Don't get me started on their tech support.

I guess I just have bad luck.

Everyone has their own experiences and preferences. And are entitled to express their opinions.
    And as you said, Vectric seems to work. I think the OP was looking for woodworking CAM SW.
    Dave

spire from vectric is a very easy software to learn

For 2D and 2.5D try D2nc. d2nc.com It converts DXF files to g-code in a flash. It also has a unique Shape Description Language that allows you to draw within the program. I have used it for over a year now and its fast and easy to learn and to use.

If its 3D machining that is your interest then Cam Bam is a good choice. cambam.info I started using it about 6-weeks. The initial learning curve is steep as it has some conventions that are unique, but after the initial typical new program frustration using Cam Bam becomes almost second nature. The forum has lots of postings that covered most of challenging areas. A long-term user has taken the help files and provided everyone with an indexed PDF of them. The help files were just all rewritten and are very good as there are more detailed descriptions.

D2nc is $79 and Cam Bam is $149.

A good program to use with either is CutViewer Mill [$250]. Cam Bam has a package price for the two of them for $294.

MeshCAM is a unique piece of software, it was developed by the same person that develop CutViewer Mill. The two together are $325. grzsoftware.com

All these have free use for an amount of time or an amount of uses.

I like having both D2nc and Cam Bam. D2nc runs on the computer that also runs MACH3 without causing MACH3 problems and D2nc is faster to get g-code out of when I am in the studio, though for simple items.

When Cam Bam is run on the same computer as MACH3, MACH3 will generate an "error 999" the next time any g-code is run, so if the g-code was generated with CAM Bam and changes need to be made, then its off to the computer used for the CAD programs [Alibre and SketchUp].

It all depends on what you anticipate milling which will be best for you. My opinion is that one size does not fit all.

MeshCAM is a unique piece of software, it was developed by the same person that develop CutViewer Mill.
    No, it wasn't. Cutviewer was written by someone else.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dolphin Partmaster is a nice easy package to use as well. Certainly worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    No, it wasn't. Cutviewer was written by someone else.
    Guess I read the site wrong .. still they are both ingenious pieces of software.

Page 1 of 2 12