587,997 active members*
1,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Need Help Figuring Out What Servos I Need!

Need Help Figuring Out What Servos I Need!

Hi Guys, I Just Purchessed A Lathe And Want To Convert It To Cnc. I Know Quite Abit About Steppers But Nothing About Servos. From What Ive Read Here On The Zone Servos Are The Way To Go And I Want To Go With Them Instead Of Steppers. If Anyone Can Point Me In The Right Direction I Would Greatly Appreciate It. The Lathe Size Is 12 X 40 And I Want It To Be Quite Powerfull. I Will Be Machining Mostly Steel So It Has To Have Lots Of Power To Cut Through All Kinds Of Steel. Thanks For Reading.

29in-lb is the size used on most CNC knee mills.

Darek

These are the servo motor sizes used on a commercially built lathe made by a reputable machine tool maker with a bed size roughly the same size as yours:

X axis @ 19 LB-IN, 3.9 amps, 3100 RPM
    Z axis @ 26 LB-IN, 8.6 amps, 3100 RPM

These were SEM's if I recall but there are comparable ones available that are probably cheaper.

You could use the Z axis motor on the X but not vice versa.

Lathe duty operation is NOT the same as that of a mill even though one might think that a lathe is merely a mill laid down on it's side. REASON: Cutter forces invovled are much different.

NC Cams,

Would you please elaborate on the drivetrain that these motors drive? i.e. is there gearing involved and the leadscrew/ballscrew involved and how much cutting force is then obtained as a result of this torque on the benchmark lathe you are talking about.

Thanks,

Salah

"Would you please elaborate on the drivetrain that these motors drive?"

Machine is Bridgeport Ezpath lathe.

"i.e. is there gearing involved and the leadscrew/ballscrew involved"

Yes, the information is not in the spec sheets that I have on the machine

"...and how much cutting force is then obtained as a result of this torque on the benchmark lathe you are talking about..."

This is not data/information that is typically published by ANY lathe manufacturer. However, it is/was/should be considered as part of the original engineering that should be done to size the motors and establish the gearing for a lathe or a mill.

Few DIY'ers go to the trouble to figure this out as the procedures are not widely published, if at al..