587,656 active members*
8,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

How to cut a hss reamer ?

I recently purchased a set of hss reamers and found the 4 largest diameters are way to long to use on my Tormach 1100. I cant get them under height gauge to set height in tool table and also use with part in vise. Any ideas on best way to shorten these would be great.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: How to cut a hss reamer ?

An abrasive cutoff wheel should easily cut through the shank.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yup, grinder, gotta use abrasives in bits, my partner hacked the end of a brand new three hundred dollar custom carbide bit, I had never seen it done before or knew how it was done I about cried for a second but it worked like a charm.... it will get hot btw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for reply Ray & tbev.
    I had my angle grinder out and figured I better ask someone that knows before I continue.
    Thanks again, The zone is a great place to ask questions and get good direct answers!

I have cut a few with a hack saw. Just remember, they're hard, so very slow strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have cut a few with a hack saw. Just remember, they're hard, so very slow strokes.
    Thanks for reply! That was my first choice but not a hand operated hack saw.
    I have a Porter cable "saws all" mounted to a router table attachment on my table saw. I mounted a switch outlet and zip tied the trigger. I use this to cut all non ferrous metal stock and in short it cuts everything I had thrown at it until the hss reamer. It dulled the blade in seconds and just scratched it. Guess I need to add a variable speed control to it also. The table saw has a sliding table with fence and clamping system that holds material in place next to it. I use the table saw carbide blade on one side to cut wood, plastic and aluminum. And I use the saws all on other side of sliding table to cut all my metal stock and plate. I looked at metal band saw options but space constraints made me come up with a simple solution that uses an existing platform. It does have the utility of cutting stock in any length with that table saw supporting the material and with the precision fence I can cut square or mitered cuts clean. Funny I never thought about posting pictures of it until now. I bet many people would build something like it for use in their shop. "patent pending" A good saws all cost at most 150$ and blades are at home depot for most any material.
    Hope this helps others

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have a Porter cable "saws all" mounted to a router table attachment on my table saw. I mounted a switch outlet and zip tied the trigger. I use this to cut all non ferrous metal stock and in short it cuts everything I had thrown at it until the hss reamer. It dulled the blade in seconds and just scratched it. Guess I need to add a variable speed control to it also. The table saw has a sliding table with fence and clamping system that holds material in place next to it. I use the table saw carbide blade on one side to cut wood, plastic and aluminum. And I use the saws all on other side of sliding table to cut all my metal stock and plate. I looked at metal band saw options but space constraints made me come up with a simple solution that uses an existing platform. It does have the utility of cutting stock in any length with that table saw supporting the material and with the precision fence I can cut square or mitered cuts clean. Funny I never thought about posting pictures of it until now. I bet many people would build something like it for use in their shop. "patent pending" A good saws all cost at most 150$ and blades are at home depot for most any material.
    Hope this helps others

Let us know how the reaming goes. I was going to do the same thing once but chickened out when I saw how long the reamer was. It was a 1/4" reamer and was like 8" long.
    What speeds/feeds are you going to use this on your tormach?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Hope this helps others

I use and angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel from home depot

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I use and angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel from home depot
    That is exactly what I picked up. half dozen cut off wheels for stainless steel for a whopping 25$. About the cheapest thing I picked up in a long time.

Forgot to follow up on this. The cutoff wheels worked perfect. Took a couple minutes for each reamer being careful to keep the reamer cool. One cutoff wheel for stainless steel did a half reamers and I bet a dozen more could be done. they were like 3$ each at home depot.

When using a reamer on a tall part I put it in an ER20 holder. The shank can go through, up until it hits that draw bar if necessary. You need to have the right size collet, but I have some from Parlec that cover a larger range of diameters that I had gotten to use in the TC tapping head.

Wow, what diameter rheamer have you used with your t&c tapping head? What speeds/feeds did you use?
    Do you like/trust the t&c? I have never warmed up to mine but might if it good for rheaming.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    When using a reamer on a tall part I put it in an ER20 holder. The shank can go through, up until it hits that draw bar if necessary. You need to have the right size collet, but I have some from Parlec that cover a larger range of diameters that I had gotten to use in the TC tapping head.

Some of the larger reamers were so long that the part would need to be mounted to fixture plate or table. Also, I like keep many tools in tool holders and they stick up an inconvenient height. Nice to have 2 or 3 most used reamers ready to use and short enough to keep in a tool rack.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Wow, what diameter rheamer have you used with your t&c tapping head? What speeds/feeds did you use?
    Do you like/trust the t&c? I have never warmed up to mine but might if it good for rheaming.
    Thanks
    I don't use a reamer in the tapping head. I use them in a ER20 TTS holder since the shank can pass all the way through the holder (unlike a drill chuck). Since the shank diameter of reamers tend to be off size you will need collets in 1/32 increments... or... I happen to have a few of Parlec ER20 collets that work with a wider range of diameters than standard ER20 collets which I got to use in my tapping head since taps also have off-size shanks.

Cool
    What do you use to figure out reamer feeds/speeds?
    Thanks

I don't use a reamer in the tapping head. I use them in a ER20 TTS holder since the shank can pass all the way through the holder (unlike a drill chuck). Since the shank diameter of reamers tend to be off size you will need collets in 1/32 increments... or... I happen to have a few of Parlec ER20 collets that work with a wider range of diameters than standard ER20 collets which I got to use in my tapping head since taps also have off-size shanks.

I start with the recommended values in the Machinery's Handbook for the tool and work piece material. Then adjust as needed from there.

Thanks
    I start with the recommended values in the Machinery's Handbook for the tool and work piece material. Then adjust as needed from there.

I use about 40-45% of the drill speed for the material in use.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I use about 40-45% of the drill speed for the material in use.

Page 1 of 2 12