587,758 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Great coverage of John Saunders on Make Magazine, Tormach PCNC 1100

Great coverage of John Saunders on Make Magazine, Tormach PCNC 1100

CNC At Home: Machining Aluminum with a Tormach PCNC 1100 | MAKE

Cool article and good usage of the Modular Tooling Plate TT1634 from Tosa Tool. I wish he would of shown how to make something much bigger with it!

Re: Great coverage of John Saunders on Make Magazine, Tormach PCNC 1100

Quote Originally Posted by tosatool1 View Post
    I wish he would of shown how to make something much bigger with it!
    I suspect he couldn't afford more material after the tooling plate purchase broke the bank

Wow. Must be nice to have all that spare cash. Tooling plates wether purchased outright or homemade aren't cheap. From what I can tell, this guy didn't make it. Tooling plates are mostly used when repetitive or a large volume of parts are needed to be done, with quick indexing of the stock or part. Am I jealous? Absolutely. Other advantages to these plates is being able to have many different setups for the same part and increase the overall machine envelope. Of course he may never need to go beyond the machine limits, but the video would've been much more informative if he would of shown us how that is done.

How come my lucky stars never line up.

Quote Originally Posted by hjl4 View Post
    Wow. Must be nice to have all that spare cash. Tooling plates wether purchased outright or homemade aren't cheap. From what I can tell, this guy didn't make it. Tooling plates are mostly used when repetitive or a large volume of parts are needed to be done, with quick indexing of the stock or part. Am I jealous? Absolutely. Other advantages to these plates is being able to have many different setups for the same part and increase the overall machine envelope. Of course he may never need to go beyond the machine limits, but the video would've been much more informative if he would of shown us how that is done.

How come my lucky stars never line up.
    These comments are always little off to me!

On their way out to dinner my neighbor asked the other day how I could afford a cnc machine.
    I didn't say, I did estimate they spend 400$ a week just eating out for dinner.
    My lucky stars don't ever line up either, just have to save the stars I do have and not blow it on something you flush.
    Just my simple observation.

I

In defense of the pricing of the plates that Tosa Tool offers Tormach owners, I recently looked again at outsourcing these to a capable shop I am familiar with (Object moved) and the pricing came back really high. The TT1634 which is the plate used in the video by Mr. Saunders was over 4k at a quantity of 1. When you get over 750 precision bored holes +/-.0003 in location and size you have to expect it is going to cost something. I do offer several smaller sizes and a Mic-6 (aluminum) plate as well. I do the best I can to keep the pricing down. The TT1634 spends almost 5 full days on the CNC, over 20 tools are used in the production. Soon I will have a new site up and many new modular offerings to speed short runs and make multiple setups a breeze.

If you need something custom I do that as well.

Regards,
    Dan
    Tosa Tool - Prototypes and Manufacturing Solutions