587,531 active members*
3,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Damn it limited on collet sizes

Hi all I have a router and I am struggling with collet sizes.

Its a 1/4 router but I want to use small bits like 1mm and up.
    I have read that people have adapted ER chucks to fit into routers (have to be carefull though to make sure its in there safe).

But I cant find a source for one in the UK.

Please advise as I am so limited on the type of work I can do and endmills etc I can purchase

Precision solid carbide tools for woodworking and metal forming. has a set of precision collets for 1/4 and 1/8" shaft's. I think just about all those end mills will come with a 1/8" shaft. You will have to select a router that precisebits has a collet set for though. Bosch Colt for example. I'm sure Bosch would have a european version.

Thanks for the info but that site is not in the UK .

And I have I think a TREND router.

There has to be some where in the UK that does some kind of ER chuck system for routers.

I doubt you will find anyone making ER collets for standard off the shelf routers, there is too many variations from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best you will find is probably the precise bits collet sets, they have a few different ones that work for some of the more common types of routers, but they are not true ER collets. You cant use ER type collets in them as the taper is different.

You really shouldnt need a full set of ER collets anyways, since most bits come in 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" shank sizes.

I suggest you find one of the routers that precise bits supports and get their set of collets, I have been using their set for my PC890 for 2 years now and they are great! I have also used their bits all the way down to 0.02" Endmills

You want something that has very low run out for those small bits anyways.

I struggled with this problem for quite a while as well, I didn't manange to find a 240V version of any of the routers that PreciseBits makes the collets for that was available to me, I ended up buying a Kress spindle/router, and they have the smaller collet sizes available too.