587,386 active members*
3,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Swap controller to lathe version

I'd like to try the PP on my (non tormach) lathe. Or at least play around with the lathe version to see if it's worth buying another kit from Tormach
    Is there a way to activate the lathe version or do I need to do a complete re-install?
    Thanks
    M

Re: Swap controller to lathe version

I suspect that the simplest way would be to just re-install PathPilot and select the lathe option. There should be enough space on the Tormach controller HD to create a new partition which you could use for the lathe install.

I would think so too. I don't know what kind of splash screen you would get if you had two controllers loaded though so that you could make a selection.

When you do install Path Pilot, it gives you options for any of the mills or the lathe.
    Lee

Mooser - I have PP running on my Grizzly CNC lathe. It works very well.

If you want to see the Lathe screen - try to change this line in the .ini file:

from
    DISPLAY = tormach_mill_ui.py

to
    DISPLAY = tormach_lathe_ui.py

PP is very finicky and sensitive - it might error out. but at least it's a lot quicker than reinstalling.

I would say from someone who started w/ Mach3 on the lathe and went to PP. It's a no brainer - Mach sucks on the lathe. PP is a dream come true.

Let me know if you have problems installing PP on the lathe. I have been through a lot of the hard part already, although I am no expert.

I might take you up on that offer.
    I'll be honest, not all that enamored with PP for the mill. It works and all, tool offsets and the instant stop (pause) is nice, but otherwise.... I'm not sure what the real benefits are over mach.
    But anyway I'm thinking that for the lathe it might be better since as you said, that mach lathe is pretty thin.
    Anyway, I think I'll try changing that ini line to have a look and maybe later create a partition and give it a try.
    Thanks
    M

Quick question
    Does your grizzly lathe have gears? If so, how many and how did you deal with them?
    Thanks
    M

No the guy I bought the grizzly from ripped out all the gears and upgraded the motor and installed VFD. So I can get from about 200 - 2400 rpm w/ just the belt drive.

Thanks for the response

Doesn't look like that's gonna work for me then, my StandardModern still uses the gearbox.
    M