587,997 active members*
2,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Variable Speed conversion...

This may of some interest here. Perhaps it has been viewed, discussed, or otherwise mentioned already...
    If you look at the yahoo 9x20lathe user group in the files section for

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0FZCS2B...20%20lathe.pdf

There's a GREAT doc about a VS AC motor mod using a VFD and your choice of 3-phase AC motor. I thought the treadmill DC motor was the only way to go, but I think I like this as it appears that the same 10k pot that the mini mill uses can be used to control the drive. So... I could just unplug the steppers and other harness from the mill and plug into the lathe and use the same control panel.

Just a thought...
    -4ist

I've heard theres some advantages to VFD..

I seem to recall that VFD is:
    Quieter
    longer lasting
    maintenance low/free
    maybe has more consistant torque?

The only real downside is the cost of the controllers... they seem to be pricey.

8x12 lathe and VFD update...

After much searching flea-bay for a suitable motor, I finally got a 3-phase motor and a TECO FM50 VFD. I cut the upper side of the mounting base to get it to bolt to the stock mounting holes. I will need to drill one new pair of mounting holes next. There is still much to be done, but for a few hours' work, I was able to wire it up and get it to spin!
    I won't have time to work on this for a few more weeks but when there's more progress I'll post more...

Here's a youtube link...

Cheers!
    -4ist

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=balcWZ2nce8"]YouTube- VFD_1[/nomedia]

Hi

Although i wnet DC conversion, the one thing i truely looked forward to was NOT mounting the motor back in that little space, i mounted it on the table instead...easier access for future possibilities..Just an FYI...Good Luck with your mod...

billz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 001.jpg   Picture 012.jpg  

Are you going to make a belt/gear gaurd, or did you already, or will you just take the occasional nip on hte finger tipo llike a man? I would probably do tha latter, unless it hurt real bad, then I'd woos out make a gaurd after the first bite

Here's a photo of my conversion and yes, that is a piece of 3/4" pine the motor is sitting on. I also modified the cover since the left pulley now sits higher than before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe_motor.jpg  

mounted on pine might actually save some gears in the event of a crash, God forbid.

I use a 3/4hp 3ph 2 pole motor and a VFD on my 7x12 CNC Minilathe. I wired it up to use the existing forward reverse switch and speed pot. Works great.

Sooner or (more probably) later, I might replace the switches with a homman speed controller. I already have one which is currently going into the mill conversion I am slowly working on.
    Regards,
    Mark