588,033 active members*
5,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Rhino & GibbsCam - HELP

Rhino & GibbsCam - HELP

We design in Rhino3D and the machine shop we use utilizes GibbsCam. We are not well versed in GibbsCam and they are not well versed in Rhino. I am not a machinist and they are not designers.

Up until now I have been designing in Rhino then creating a 2D drawing of the part for them to program and produce the part. On simple parts this is not really an issue. However our parts are becoming more complex (mold cavities, etc.) It is becoming more time consuming and does not make sense to go from 3d to 2d then back.

I want to provide them with the 3d model have them import it into Gibbs and develop the tool paths and ultimately the part. I do expect to give them a print with callouts, tolerances etc.

When they try to import our files there are some weird issues. Surfaces are not connected (even on solids), simple round holes have irregularties in them, etc. I have contacted Rhino and they do not see anything wrong with the models. Gibbs has been less than helpful. I have exported to numerous formats and I can't see any issues with anything. I've spent a lot of time on this but am begining to think it is a Gibbs import issue.

I'm at the point where we need to look at other options; another machine shop competent in Rhino or at least can research the issue with Gibbs to determine if it is the model or the import.

Ideas? Thanks!

eh, I doubt its a gibbs issue.. Send it to them in IGES, an early version, and try that.. They may have to redo the surfaces in Gibbs, why is that an issue?

IGES should be the way to go. I have a customer that supplies me with iges files and i'm able to import into GibbsCam just fine.
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalZilla View Post
    IGES should be the way to go. I have a customer that supplies me with iges files and i'm able to import into GibbsCam just fine.
    GibbsCam's native 3D is Parasolids .x_t or .x_b. IGES is by far the least accurate of all 3D formats. Even .stp is better but not by much.

The problem importing 3D solids for all programs are the differences in surface tolerance between the creation program and the importing program. If you still have problems with Parasolids try changing the surface tolerance in Rhino up and down to see if it helps.