587,427 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > On a Roll begging for help tonight!

On a Roll begging for help tonight!

OneCNC help has onecNC again not helped in understanding how one curves text around a curve using chain text I believe.

Any help getting me on the right track?

Thanks
    Ken

No sweat

Ken,

Draw your curve or arc or circle.
    Then put a point were you want your lettering to start. You can divide the arc or if it is drawn the right length, (Ie: it starts were you want), then you can use the end as the start point.

Select chain text under the text funtion.

Set you attrabutes to the size you need and set the font style.
    Then type in the text you want. Left, centered or right will change were the text is placed on the line. This also will depend on which side the arrow is on when you select the arc.
    In the picture below you will see the arrow is on the inside when I selected the chain. So I had the justification set to left. So it put the text to the left of the arrow or on the outside.

Then select the chain, at the start point you want(left click), point the arrow in the direction you want(then left click), and hit the "]"(left bracket) key (which will pick the whole chain) or pick the last part of the chain if you don't want to text the entire chain.

And Bam the text is placed along the arc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_screenshot.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You said it "no sweat"

I also need to extrude this text so I can mill through the plate, once chained it appears that I can no longer extrude them, is this correct?

Ken

Ken,
    That's right. After the text is wraped around the chain it has been vectorized. The software did this so it could make it fit the arc.

But not worry there is a tip under the "Tips and Tricks" post that tells you how to surface each letter and the extrude the surface.

So head over there and have a look. It's one page #2 of that thread.

And get to extruding.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank for the help Ward, am looking into it now.

Ken