587,252 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Feed Hold during M80 command

Feed Hold during M80 command

We are attempting to integrate a fanuc robot with a Haas VF2ssyt. This Haas is equipped with the robot ready option and a servo door.

The problem we are having is when an M80 is hit in the program, the Haas enters into a feed hold state and displays the message "Automatic door open commanded while machine is not cell safe".

I am trying to figure out what "cell safe" exactly means in relation to the Haas.

Haas has told me that it is because the CNC is expecting a bit from the robot that changes state every 1/10 of a second. That's been wired, and I can see it changing state on one of the spare inputs on the discrete input screen. The bit to monitor is in parameter 1272, which I have set to 17, as counting up from 0 on the discrete input screen to the pulsing spare input gets me.

All that I got from the robot setup doc Haas sent me, which I've attached.

Also another question is whether 17 is the right value to set parameter 1272 to.

Here are some images, which hopefully will help.

Information display that occurs:

Picture of the bit that is from the robot pulsing every 1/10th of a second (Big red arrow indicates bit):

Is machine at full stop just prior to the M80 command?

Yes, the machine has stopped moving by the time the M80 command is issued.

In fact, we've been running a test program of just the M80 with no machine movement, and it still happens.

Without the coding for the robot in place, does M80 work to open the door? I have never worked with a robot on a Haas, thus the reason for the questions so far and no answers.

The M80 does open the door, but not in the desired way. The program is supposed to keep running while the door is open, and the robot heart beat signal is present.

Right now the machine just does what I described in the first post.

I am surprised none of the Haas experts have jumped on this. I will try to dig a little deeper for an answer.

Solved the issue. Heartbeat needs to be at 20Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Nation View Post
    Solved the issue. Heartbeat needs to be at 20Hz.
    I am just wondering, at 20Hz, does that not burn out the relay which I presume is the bottom one on the RRI module. We are also integration an ABB 1410 with Haas VF2SS but were told that it takes in a 5Hz heartbeat check. Anyone can confirm this? Many thanks.

We used a solid state relay mounted in the robot cabinet, and ran a separate cable back to the HAAS control board (I believe into the P90 connection).

The heartbeat signal should not matter what it comes from. 20Hz is what worked for me, and I got that information from HAAS after pestering them for a week straight.