587,196 active members*
3,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Found an old Dyna Myte 2400 mill...what do I need to get it going?

Found an old Dyna Myte 2400 mill...what do I need to get it going?

New to the world of cnc, found this site on the net, and just wanted to post some question I have.

As the thread says. I am a new highschool metalwork teacher at a school in whiterock, canada. After doing some digging in the storage room I found an old Dyna Myte 2400 mill that is fully equipped, but has been sitting for 6-10yrs. Too bad I am not very cnc sauvy. haha. What is the first thing I should do to test if it still works? is the original programming out of date? are there any part/upgrade I can get to make it fcn easier for the everyday student? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

I'm having an insomnia night, so did a bit of research.

Quote Originally Posted by EMS_CNC View Post
    After doing some digging in the storage room I found an old Dyna Myte 2400 mill that is fully equipped, but has been sitting for 6-10yrs.
    Nice find That's an interesting piece of iron and designed to be cnc unlike a converted mill/drill machine. Any clues to why it was mothballed ? Do you have the manuals ? The company still exists http://www.dynamechtronics.com/ and may offer some help with manuals. Don't expect much support for a machine that's probably 20 yrs old however. There's also a yahoo group but not very active. A few members here have dynamechatronics experience.

What is the first thing I should do to test if it still works?
    The manual might offer some help. I'm guessing the software might need to be reloaded as a first step ?

is the original programming out of date? are there any part/upgrade I can get to make it fcn easier for the everyday student?
    Outdated and non-standard afaict. Very unlikely to be a pc based control unless someone has made it so. Most people here would look to convert it to Mach3, probably no small job. IF the machine works well with the existing control and electronics go with it. Just my 2 cents.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Not much help I'm afraid, but maybe it gets the ball rolling.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Dyna Myte Conversion

Dan,
    Look in the "Knee Vertical Mills" forum for the thread on DynaMyte 2400 conversion- there is a lot of good information there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico55 View Post
    Dan,
    Look in the "Knee Vertical Mills" forum for the thread on DynaMyte 2400 conversion- there is a lot of good information there.
    Good reading for cnc geeks like us but maybe scary reading for the uninitiated ? Near the end of the thread it's mentioned Mach3 can control this machine using the original drives and motors with just a bit of additional electronics. Not much detail provided but looks like help is available on the Mach3 forum.

Dan

Have you fired up the machine ? Is anything readable coming up on the control screen ? Tried any manual jogs ?

The original control memory is limited to 999 lines by looks of things. That's a lot of hand code but not much if your students have an interest in generating code with software (CAM). Mach3 uses a more standard form of code. Depends what your goals are.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.