587,235 active members*
3,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > creating solid to 2d profile

creating solid to 2d profile

here's another question from a rookie. I've been playing around with x2 lathe for about a week now and all I have to say is...very nice. Anyways back to the question. Ive been attempting to create a cross section profile using "creating solid to 2d profile" and always end up with a partial profile. Is there something i'm missing? It seems very straight forward but obviously not. any help would be appreciated.

Well if you have Solids then try using the solids pick Icon when you chain and it will create a 2d profile to pick.
    Other wise I suggest Create Curve Slice or Solids Layout.
    Also not alwas the best for this but works pretty good is Silhouette Boundry.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Cadcam,

When I try using the solid pick icon i receive a "unable to extract lathe profile from solid" error message. I will also give your other suggestions a try but i'm really hoping to get the solid pick icon figured out. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by bassn_07 View Post
    Cadcam,

When I try using the solid pick icon i receive a "unable to extract lathe profile from solid" error message. I will also give your other suggestions a try but i'm really hoping to get the solid pick icon figured out. Thanks for the reply.
    If you share your file I may be able to help with your thought.
    MCX would work great
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Cadcam,

My friend helped me figure out the curve slice and it works great. He created a surface from solid then used create curve slice. This is exactly the end result I was looking for. Thank you for the suggestion...it worked great.

exellent idea I would of suggested it myself. the solid pick icon is good with some parts that are simpler, but you have to get creative with the tricky parts. slice is a great tool
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Cadcam,

My friend helped me figure out the curve slice and it works great. He created a surface from solid then used create curve slice. This is exactly the end result I was looking for. Thank you for the suggestion...it worked great.
    Gld that worked now next time use the solid you do not have to make it surfaces first.
    Gld this helped. PS still would like to see the part as some times its as easy as a rotation to make the solid pick work.
    Cadcam

What would be the best way to let you see the part? I rotated the part several different ways trying to avoid any breaks between the profile. Let me know the best way to post the part and I'll be glad to let you see.

What would be the best way to let you see the part? I rotated the part several different ways trying to avoid any breaks between the profile. Let me know the best way to post the part and I'll be glad to let you see.
    If its not a big file you can zip it and upload here or email me the file.
    you are few hours from my office to. Do you work with Jerry at Serria cadcam?
    Cadcam