587,202 active members*
2,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Prototrak LPM PMX Control

I have a fairly new Prototrak LPM machine with a PMX control. What I need to know is if there is anyone out there that can tell me if it is possible to put a Program Stop into a conversational program. I would have assumed it would be in the aux functions but have not been able to find one. Now I know the machine can do it because I've use a M00 program stop in the GCD mode. Why on earth would they not have that function in conversational

My second question is if you are writing a program in G code for this machine can anyone tell me the process of turning on cutter compensation (G41,G42) In all the machines I have ever programmed in turned in on a line move. In conversational mode on this machine all you do is give it the Coordinates of the center and what side of the cut it will be on
    (other variables also like # passes, rpm etc).

any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi Booda,

I think a program stop is possible by putting in an PAUSE event. I can't give you an answer on the second question. I don't own an LPM but have an SMX. I am thinking about getting an Prototrak LPM.

What are you're experiences with this machine? Solid base? rigidity? How about the linear guide's? What kind of work do you do on it?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the info. I did eventually find the pause command. On the LPM however it does not stop the spindle until the door has been opened. This is a little inconvenient because if you start the machine on a long program and then leave the machine running when the pause is reached the machine sits there until you return. If you go home in the mean time it will run all night until the next day. The machine however is a very nice machine for the money. It is set up for production type work using pallets that are located by Ball Lock pins. The machine came with two Kurt vises and several mounting fixtures (and spares). Both vises can be mounted at the same time on the table to be used as individual vises or use them togeterh to hold larger pieces. Programming is user friendly. Real nicke machine

Oh yeah
    I've done real small intricate work on it ar even large mold type work. it is a versatatle machine. Can run Gcode Which means 3 axis work can be done if you have a post processor for it. I use a program called Surfcam and have done quite a bit of 3d work

Re: Prototrak LPM PMX Control

Yes it seems a nice machine. As I am used to the SMX 4000 control already. I think it would be a good step ahead. Enclosure is really nice from time to time. Shame you can't program a spindle stop(on the other prototraks it is a number in the aux funtions). Do you run big G-code files with it? Does it work smooth with big files? How is the positioning accuracy on the ball lock pins? Does it clear the chips well, with the washdown and auger?

Thanks,

The files I've run haven't bee enough to have to run the machine off the memory stick. I've been able to run them from memory so far. It seems to run smooth.
    Ball Lock positioning seems to be very accurate however one thing I've encountered is the Aluminum fixtures supplied with the machine are not perfectly flat. This causes a difference in height from one side to the other of about .001-.0015 inches. I suppose a skin chip can be taken on the area the vise sits on but you have to be aware that both vises can be used on the table at the same time so if you want to use two vises to hold one long part then both fixture plates would have to be skinned to the same heigth. The Auger Does a pretty good job of keeping the inside clean. On occasion if you get real stringy type chips ( from a drilling operation for instance) this can be a problem. If you get a lot of chps sometimes the wash system can't wash the chips down. I find it far superior to our bridgeport CNC that we have to basicly shovel the chips out afterwards. One thing I do say if you accidently drop a screw or soemthin inside the machine it can be difficult to find it if it falls into the catch area where the auger runs. The coolant tray can be pulled out however and things can be retrieved that way although this is kind of a pain staking process. I actually dropped a 6 inch scale in side once and never found it. must have got lost in all the chips and thrown away with the chips.

Thank you for the information. At the moment I need to quote a customer a work where 3d toolpath are needed. Could you make generate a g-code program for a SMX prototrak? Or anyone else here on the forum. Help would be greatly appreciated. At first I need to know if someone is able to do, how much it costs, and if I get the order then to generate the program. It's a slot in an aluminum block with some arc on the bottem. Could send you a drawing.

Thanks in advance