587,306 active members*
3,794 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Not sure what's happening with my machine, not reliably cutting though

Not sure what's happening with my machine, not reliably cutting though

A couple of months ago I cut some cabinet parts and they came out all kinds of wrong. I went over everything on the machine after that. I took apart the z axis to grease. I ordered belts and several other things from cncrp/avid to get what I needed. I did not replace the belts since they seem fine so far.

I moved my router up a few inches to get rid of any chance that the leverage was an issue too. Then I realigned the cutter to the table. Replaced all the grease fittings with the newer ones that do not stick out also.

I've worked on several more things without issue. It only seems to happen when I use the entire bed and it's very random where it decides to do what it does. I do not think this is alignment or squaring. I'm at a lot on what to look for now though.

What's weird about it, to me, is that almost all cuts are perfect. The problem showed itself today on the first depth of cut I took on the drawers I was making. The first cut seemed to be about 1/8 inch off from where it should have been. But only on a few places. It doesn't makes sense to me because the rest of the cuts on that first one and the rest of Jon are on the right location. Since I do not have a way for the machine to correct itself while cutting if it did lose steps, then why would it?

Some pictures look perfect. They are, just so you see how weird it is. Others, specifically the curved one, started on the correct location and proceeded to cut off of where it was supposed to. Then the next layers all worked fine under that cut. Not in the same location but, in the right one! All the cuts are square though too. All the boxes fit together but, on the ones that didn't cut correctly, they look kind of not square. Only because one rabbit was lower than supposed to be. The curved parts on one are fine and not on the other. I also duplicated these in fusion and they are the same for each and the simulation looks perfect as well as the design itself does not have these features.

The gap in the last photo is just because I didn't push it all together yet. Just trying to show that it's taller than it should be.

Any idea what I should be looking at? Thanks, kind of makes me unmotivated to do anything because it doesn't come out the way I expect.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Re: Not sure what's happening with my machine, not reliably cutting though

I'd look for slightly loose setscrews.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

As Gerry said, loose setscrews on one or more pulleys and possible z-axis oldham coupler.

Thanks, I will check those today. I hope I get this worked out.

There was an issue with the original Z axis back cover binding and causing lost steps. Avid sent replacement back covers and that did the trick for me.

I bought my cncrp pro 48x96 in 2017. Was it before or after that?

Quote Originally Posted by kjk2002 View Post
    There was an issue with the original Z axis back cover binding and causing lost steps. Avid sent replacement back covers and that did the trick for me.
    What's real odd is that the cuts that were off were only off on a couple parts. Most things came out perfect. I would expect that a whole layer would shift after that. Instead, it somehow went back to where it was supposed to be.

Probably before, but the new ones are a thin mylar material and the original was Aluminum.

Really sounds more like the setscrew issue. It can come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by kjk2002 View Post
    Really sounds more like the setscrew issue. It can come and go.
    I went through them all today and have to test it now. Thanks. I have the nylon type cover. It's in the xy, I hope I get it out. Driving me nuts