587,401 active members*
3,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Has anybody used a right angle spindle attachment?

Has anybody used a right angle spindle attachment?

I'm interested to get a right angle spindle attachment for my 4020 and wondered if anybody has tried one? If so, any recommendations?

It would be used primarily for light duty cutting/routing.

I have only found European models (CTL Centreline - UK, and Alberti - Italy). I seem to recall an Asian one at the last Westech show but can't find any literature on it.

I'd be interested in any feedback I can get.

I've used them on acrolocs, they work pretty good as long as you know how to program and dont make mistakes cause it will be costly.

I have looked at them from time to time for my fadal but haven't found one that isnt permanately attached to the spindle head.

The acrolock ones were built on a tool holder so you could change tools for different operations.

I heard of them along time ago that were liek the ones you posted but lost the info and wasnt able to find it until you posted(thanks for the link).

I could use something like these for one specific job I have to put in a indexer that I do on the hand mill.

I would be interested as well on price and info if anyone has had experiance.

I was tempted to buy the one us shop tools came out with last year but it was ike 20+k and it had to be fixed to the spindle.
    my friends that used to work for/build acrolocs said they use to be popular back in the 80s and early 90's thats why they designed them for there tool holders. the down fall for most job shops was that they got crashed a whole bunch, both the cat style ones and the acroloc tool holder style ones.

I would be interested to hear neils opinion on them as well.

I contacted Koma Precision who distributes the Alberti brand. I remember seeing the Alberti units at the Westech show and was impressed with their apparent quality.

I got a phone quote of ~$6,650 (list price) for their ATC mount CAT40 to ER-16 90 degree high speed model. The flange mount is a bit cheaper $5,900. As I mentioned, I need it primarily for routing of plastics hence the HS requirement.

I can see the issues with programming. You have to be super careful and dry run it completely. That could be an expensive crash for sure.

CTL Centreline Heads

I know the lads that make the centreline heads, as the manufacturing done in the UK, and their quality is really good, the other nice thing is they are quite happy to make special heads, at reasonable prices, especially more so now with the exchange being better against £ than the Euro!

That's some good feedback. I haven't gotten a price quote for the Centreline Heads yet, gotta do that.

Re Centreline

If it will help you here a link to their UK site: http://www.ctl-centreline.com/index.htm and the best guy to contact is Ian Sketchley, on [email protected]
    He a really good engineer, and what Ian doe's not know angle heads & speeder, is really not worth knowing!
    I hope it helps you sort out what you want.
    regards
    Alan

I have been using two Alberti right angle heads for 4 plus years. No big problems once set up properly.

The tool change can get a little clunky and our fadal has dropped a head about once a year.

You can run out of Z axis travel on the small VMC’s with out the extended Z travel. All in all I’d recommend the Alberti