587,529 active members*
3,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Watching laser throught acrylic protection +Safety glass

Hello !

My question might be stupid but I wonder If semeone can answer this:
    I have a Creality Falcon2 Pro 22w ( 455nm laser)

There is a protection cover, apprently FDA 1 and a glass alowing to see where the laser hit.

I ordered protective glasses from NoIR (OD7+180-532) that are CE compliant and that I trust more than the 2$ green glasses creality send with the laser cutter

The question :
    As the laser is seen orange when passing throught the 2 protection layers, I asume the light is converted from 455nm to someting like 620nm

So I can clearly see it thought the Protective glass + the protective cover + the safety glasses.

Is it safe or not to look at where the laser hit ?
    Is the light less powerfull ?

I did not find informations about that on internet, only to choose the right glasses from reputed sellers.

Edit bonus question :

are my glasses useless and I should not wear theme with the already existing enclosure ?

should I Instead buy glasses that filter orange light ?

are they still safe anyway ?

I just put black thick scotch on the protective glass as I don't care to see the laser working. Eyes first.

Thanks a lot !

Re: Watching laser throught acrylic protection +Safety glass

Hello,
    Yes, it’s generally safe if you're using OD7+ glasses from a reputable brand like NoIR and the laser is enclosed. The glasses block almost all harmful blue light (455 nm), converting it to safer wavelengths (orange). The light you're seeing is much less powerful. The OD7+ rating means it reduces the laser intensity by a factor of 10 million.

Re: Watching laser throught acrylic protection +Safety glass

Quote Originally Posted by bravernoe View Post
    Hello,
    Yes, it’s generally safe if you're using OD7+ glasses from a reputable brand like NoIR and the laser is enclosed. The glasses block almost all harmful blue light (455 nm), converting it to safer wavelengths (orange). The light you're seeing is much less powerful. The OD7+ rating means it reduces the laser intensity by a factor of 10 million.
    Thank you for your answere @bravernoe
    I wonder if the first protective glass convert all blue light to an orange one and that if this orange light is actually still powerfull (with no reduction, only conversion ?), it will pass throught all other 455nm filtering stuff with no problem and then damaging my eyes ?
    I understand Orange is less powerfull, but with a 22w laser reflection, It could still harm me with these 3 layers of protection ?
    Thanks !