587,172 active members*
3,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > okuma lb-10 problem

okuma lb-10 problem

I have a lb-10 okuma lathe ,
    we just moved from ct. to sc when we put power on it it went into alarm as soon as we pushed the reset ,the drives and screen did not even come on,
    there is a low voltage on the drives but no other alarms that i can tell.
    the voltage incoming is 215 on all legs ,none of the fuses that i can find are bad ,wondering if anybody can give me somewhere to look .
    Thank you Mike

Do you have it phased correctly so that the 3 phase motors, like hydraulic pumps run the correct way?
    I am not familiar with this model, but there is a 50% chance that you need to swap a pair of legs.
    I fluked it right the first time on a LC-XX model.
    I am not sure if the pump(s) will be damaged by running the wrong way.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Yes the hyd. pump comes on and has pressure.
    will try to swap 2 legs and see what happens

I do not know any machine guys in the area yet and i am reluctant to call morris south

Thank you for your reply
    Mike

the voltage incoming is 215 on all legs
    check voltages inside electrical cabinet. check if voltage present is as marked on terminals. ~200V is Okuma main voltage.
    Check the power unit of OPUS rack. Must be blank, no red LED.
    check +24V (and -24V if it is) voltages.
    check the voltage on OSP "power On" button NO contacts. Must be 24V
    wrong wired hydraulic pump can work a couple of minutes without any risk. No need to swap wires if hydraulic pressure is present.
    It's strange, that hydraulic pumps is on, while OSP is off. Generally, hydraulic pump is on is case if POST passed and no "A" and "B" alarms. Could be some specific design ...

check if you have the correct mains, neutral and ground connections, the type of supply via autotransformer or isolation transformer determines if you need neutral or not, if you dont need neutral you should tie the leg to ground.

Without path, no contactors or relays will operate and nothing will work.

First let me say i am not an electrical kind of guy my brother is an electrical engineer i am the mechanical guy unfortunatly i never paid attention to what he was doing i just said its broke fix it and he did however he is in ct and i am in sc
    I did try to check +24v had nothing but not sure i am checking the rite place ,so i thought would be a power supply but brother said could be but probably not as we just replaced it not to long ago and machine ran fine until we moved it.

as far as the path and nutral I thought 3 ph 3 wires and a ground if rotation is wrong switch 2 of the 3 is that correct
    thanks Mike

Red face

In essence that is true, but the point of my advise is that it depends if the supply transformer is "star" or "delta" wound, as a general rule a star wound will have a center tapping (neutral) and a ground (5 wire connection). If the neutral is missing then it can be tied to ground or you run a separate neutral from the supply board. (Please dont tie to ground if you are not sure because you could blow the main fuses).

If you have all three phases with an "even" voltage across, phase to phase and nothing works, then that is what I would check for first.

Remember you said it worked before you moved and if the voltages and polarity are correct then it must be something else, i.e. a loose connection, fuse or overload.

Are any of the drive or power supply leds lit for e.g ??

Did you check the transformer to make sure the taps are correct for your incoming voltage? Most Okumas's are equipped with multi tap transformers just for this reason. I see no mention of this in your posts...