588,159 active members*
4,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question for 770 & 1100 owners

What's the clearance between the edges of the table and the edge of chip tray when the table is at the limit switches (max x- & x+ )?

Re: Question for 770 & 1100 owners

On the 1100, the table (assuming you mount the chip enclosure on it) overlaps the chip tray by about 1".

I will measure it later to find out the exact amount.

But don't wedge the front of the chip tray against a tool chest, and then home the table. Bad things happen...
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

On my 770 the front of the drip channel on the front of the table is about 2.75 inches behind the front of the chip tray when the y-axis is homed. However note that vises and the stepper on the 4th axis may be considerably in front of the drip channel on the table. My enclosure (home brew) is about 7 inches in front of the chip tray front and has not been a problem. Obviously the room required will vary depending on how you mount things, possible oversize work, the vise that you use (my usual vise is a Kurt D40), use of large fixture plates, etc. It is far better to provide more room than the minimum!

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    On the 1100, the table (assuming you mount the chip enclosure on it) overlaps the chip tray by about 1".

I will measure it later to find out the exact amount.

But don't wedge the front of the chip tray against a tool chest, and then home the table. Bad things happen...
    I may have the terminology wrong. I'm talking about the funnel shaped sheet metal below the table. From everything I've seen the table doesn't travel beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    On my 770 the front of the drip channel on the front of the table is about 2.75 inches behind the front of the chip tray when the y-axis is homed. However note that vises and the stepper on the 4th axis may be considerably in front of the drip channel on the table. My enclosure (home brew) is about 7 inches in front of the chip tray front and has not been a problem. Obviously the room required will vary depending on how you mount things, possible oversize work, the vise that you use (my usual vise is a Kurt D40), use of large fixture plates, etc. It is far better to provide more room than the minimum!
    I'm concerned about the X axis only.

Tormach defines the X axis as the 18 inch left to right axis.

For that axis, on my 1100, on a deluxe stand, measuring from the inside lip of the stand, the left hand outside of the table is 16 1/2 inches from the edge of the stand with the limit switch activated; 16 1/4 " with the soft stop. The motor on the left hand X axis is 6 inches from the inside lip of the stand.

On the right, the table edge is 9 1/2 inches from the RH inside edge of the deluxe stand when the limit switch trips, 9 1/4 with soft stop.

The inside edge of the lip of the stand is about an inch from the outside.

For the Y axis (9.5 inch travel, into/away from the front of the machine), the front distance (inside edge of chrome strip to outside edge of table limit switch cover) is 2 1/2; back edge of table to electrical box is 3 1/4 (soft stops limit). The limit switch cover is 1" wide. There are drain holes at the rear of the table; any plumbing there will reduce the back distance accordingly.

All of those measurements are dependent on limit switch & actuator position, which probably has a quarter inch variation from machine to machine. My limit switch and actuator are as delivered, never moved or replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Automate-It-All View Post
    I may have the terminology wrong. I'm talking about the funnel shaped sheet metal below the table. From everything I've seen the table doesn't travel beyond it.
    No, you had it right,I was talking about that as well (drip tray), but I missed that you were looking for X travel instead of Y travel. GLCarlson already nailed that one.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.