587,213 active members*
3,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Turret Angle

Turret Angle

Hi guys
    Does anyone know how the Turret Angle parameters work? There is a crashed machine in our workshop and I was trying to manipulate these angles and followed the instructions from the manual but if I make a correction to the original value of lets say T01 position and then upon a call of T0100 in MDI the machine recalls the previous value.
    I can't probably get the logic or do sth wrong... Any ideas?
    Thanks

Turret angle is only adjust servo position to clamp straight. If the turret is off center, it needs to be adjusted mechanically. Changing the angle parameter without straightening the turret will just cause more wear on the mechanical parts as the turret clamps.

Thanks for your reply underthetire! The turret is displaced with 0.05mm over about 100mm and I was wandering if I could compensate this misalignment with change in the angles, obviously not

The turret is displaced with 0.05mm over about 100mm
    that missalignment could be easy compesated by parameter. In case, if there is still room to play with parameter.
    Have you checked all tool positions? is this measurement average or maximum or calculated to use for general compensation?
    what about turret face with chuck face accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    The turret is displaced with 0.05mm over about 100mm
    that missalignment could be easy compesated by parameter. In case, if there is still room to play with parameter.
    Have you checked all tool positions? is this measurement average or maximum or calculated to use for general compensation?
    what about turret face with chuck face accuracy?
    How? The turret sits on a mechanical coupling. Parameters only tell it where it's ok to clamp in to the coupling...

The turret sits on a mechanical coupling. Parameters only tell it where it's ok to clamp in to the coupling
    check with Your lathe if You have access to. The mechanical coupling is not absolutelly accurate. It allows a little play. Easy to see on automatic turret offset adjustment procedure - the control clamps the turret (the same tool position) with several offsets. You need to follow the readings of encoder, because so small angular difference

I don't think that's really true, it sits on a curvit (sp?) coupling that has angles ground in. Once the turret is forced to clamp, the matching angle mechanically locks the coupling in hard.

My opinion is that the angle that the user sets it is angle that is best suited for the turret to clamp (in the center of each the curvic coupling). If there was "play" then the curvic coupling would not be there for nothing (when clamped it should be clamped in that position. Period).
    The angle adjustment is when you see that the clamping is not perfect and you see that during the clamping the disc is forced to go in a determined direction. If the clamping is on the right spot (centered), you will not notice that the turret rotates during the camping and the tuning is correct.
    In theory, by factory the original settings should be 360/n tools.

Although I've never performed the adjustment myself, I was told by an Okuma tech that after a crash, if the turret angle alignment is off, you have to loosen the bolts of the main turret body, and rotate the turret body, indicating the tool pockets parallel to the X- axis, then tighten the bolts. It is my understanding that the curvic coupling provides the mechanical lockup, and the turret angle adjustments are simply used to fine tune the turret servo's ideal position before the turret is clamped. In other words, the turret angle offsets are factory settings, and shouldn't be used to adjust the actual turret alignment.

Underthetire & jashley73 are correct. The curvic coupling has no play once clamped and the parameters are for the servo positioning only. Mechanically align the turret and then if you have trouble clamping smoothly, adjust the T axis zero offset in your system parameters.

Best regards,

sorry, my mistake.
    Must be I remember something from a special turret with free adjustable angular position.
    Thats right - parametric adjustment is only for finding proper position before turret clamping. Some particular tool offsets could be adjusted if turret is disbalanced by heavy tools.
    Generally saying - turret clamped position is hardly determined by mechanical coupling. sory once more.
    A small note: Okuma recommends turret offset adjustement procedure after mechanical turret adjustment.

Sorry, internet got lost for a few days...
    What I figured out is that only the PR Zero Offset value could be changed and the turret angle value parameters change in relation to it. Even if one of the angles is changed it returns to its position in relation to the PR Zero Offset
    Might be a bit stupid question but in this case what do the Cal, Add and Set buttons do at the Turret Angle page?

Allows you to teach each clamp position on the turret so it pulls back without the clunk noise.

Maybe you need to start special procedure in order to use add, call and set for turret angle offsets. Or, maybe the control is ready for some option.
    Maybe PR Zero Offset could be changed by means of add, call or set to present turret position.
    Don't play with turret angle offsets if no need

Algirdas, the procedure I used was from the Maintenance Manual, I can upload the page if you want to have a look.
    I played with that machine because it was really ****ed up anyway. A workpiece went out of the chucks and got stuck between the turret and a chuck. As a result the plate at the bottom of the turret was halved! Unfortunately I don't have a pic to show, it was impressive!
    It was welded after that and put back at its place but after some mechanical adjustments the turret wasn't aligned so I tried to adjust the angles and figured out as already mentioned in the thread - these angles should be only for positioning before the clamping itself. I was changing the values with a small amount of about 0.3 the most but I realized the machine readjusts them according to the curvit coupling when it clamps.

it's all correct if Your turret does no angular movement when clamping. Exactly as mentioned before. The proper offset ensures that turet will take the same angle with different loads and different indexing directions