Hi all,

Recently, I have purchased a Precision Mathews milling machine with the intentions of converting it to CNC. I have machined all my parts on the very machine that I am converting. I will post pictures of the machine and machined parts. I must say I am quite impressed with the performance of the mill as a manual machine. The machine has plenty of power and can also do delicate machining. I was converting my Harbor Freight 9 x 20 lathe when I realized I needed this milling machine to make all my brackets, so I ended up with two project machine builds. LOL!!!! I have found great amounts of knowledge on you tube about CNC conversions on these machines. I have finished the lathe and am setting up the tool library in Mach3. Lots to learn!!!! LOL!!!!!

The first picture shows the milling machine as you can order it with a DRO and a power feed. I, as you can see in the second photo, did not get the DRO or the power feed. I also opted out of the cabinet, as I had a welding table that has a 5/8" plate top, that should be adequate to hold the machine and enclosure I plan to put the machine inside of. The third picture is of the beginnings of the Z axis conversion, the fourth picture is of the finished control box for the lathe. I used an old Dell computer cabinet, worked great. The last three pictures show the X axis conversion. I still have to make a cover for the belt drive for the X axis ball screw. Safety always in mind!!! The final picture is of the components for the milling machine. I created all the parts drawings in Fusion 360, so I can machine these after I get all converted. I have the other stepper motor and mounting bracket but it was hard to get it all in the photo. Just like the nearest bracket made of 4" x 4" tube but the stepper is a bit smaller. The nearest stepper is for the Z axis so it is about 400 oz/in larger that the X and Y axis steppers.

I hope that this is helpful to someone who just needed to see a picture or two of how someone else did something.

Thanks for looking,

Wyatt Hopkins