587,372 active members*
3,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Can Anyone Help Identify These Steppers??

Can Anyone Help Identify These Steppers??

I got several small steppers in an estate auction along with a bunch of other items. I would like to do something with these but I cannot find any specifications on them. I have tried searching the web and found a few references but no info. I have even emailed Japan Servo with no reply.

KH56KM2B093

They are 6-wire and were in a plain cardboard box and the box had "118 oz, 1.8 200 step, 2 phase 4 or 2 amps each phase. I am not sure if this info pertains to these but I was able to find info on KH56KM2 motors and the torque spec seems to fit, but I have yet to find this exact motor.

I thank you all in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1106.JPG   100_1107.JPG  

I googled them and found this

http://www.japanservo.com/digital/general/c_ste/

Thanks for the reply.

I had found several references to the the 900 series also. The beginning of the model number matches up but not the last part. The "B" seems to be different than any of Japan Servo's model numbers. And even if I forget about the "B", I have yet to find anything ending in "093". They all seem to end in "901", "902", "903", etc.

Plus, even if I chose to use the specs from one of these others, which would I go with? There is quite a difference between each one with regard to amperage and voltages.

Thanks again, I appreciate it

Those are probably custom windings for some printer or other machine. If so, the specs would not be published anywhere, and you won't be able to get it from Japan Servo.

You could calculate the specs by measuring the resistance of the windings with a good meter. Measure the resistance between the center wire and one outside wire of a winding, and call that R. This is the resistance spec for your motor. Then divide 2.65 by the square root of R, and that will be the current spec for your motors. Then multiply your calculated current spec by R, and that will be the voltage spec for your motor.

PS
    This is all based on the fact that power dissipation is usually fairly constant regardless of the winding resistance, and power is equal to resistance divided by the square of the current. I went to this page http://www.japanservo.com/digital/general/pdf/KH56K.pdf
    where they show 3 specs for 3 different unipolar windings. I got the 2.65 by taking the specs for the -902(ie 2 amps and 1.79 ohms), and multiplying 2 by the square root of 1.79.

One other thing to compare (without going through the math initially) is the dimensions of the motor to the specs given.

It appears that the stepper would most likely range range is 87-180 oz-in.

That will put you in the ballpark. If it still appears to be suitable for your use then do the math as suggested.

Thanks for your help.

I measured the resistance across the winding using the pin out diagram on Japan Servo's site and came up with 2.5

If my calculations are correct, that would put the current spec at 1.676 and the voltage spec at 4.190. Comparing that to the other motors on that site, those specs would place it right between the -902 and -903.

Thanks again for the assistance. I will use those specs and see how it goes.

Stripped five toshiba copiers and got 10 of these Japan Servo motors plus larger motors.

Thanks jeffs555, based on your instructions I got 4.5 ohms resistance which then gave me 1.25amps for my current spec and then 5.5volts for my voltage spec.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1043.jpg  

Motor ID

G'Day Gang,

I have just used this info to ID 3 Japan Servo steppers. My resistances were 1.6 ohm
    So with the calculations the current came out at 2 amp at 3.36 volts.

This sound right to you guys?

Cheers
    Dennis