588,039 active members*
4,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: dc 53

Smile dc 53

any body have any experience with machining dc53 tool steel after it has been hardened. i have to use 3/8 and 1/4 ballnose coated carbide as it is a 3 axis form type of detail, lots of radii.
    thanks
    rick

Don't know the specific material, but milling in hardened steel usually is hopeless.

Regards,
    Sven

Question maching hardened tool steels

sven! i have to disagree as i machine hardened tool steels all the time,the trick is leavind .oo5 stock after ruughing it in then useing carbide tools with the proper coating and a slow to medium rpm amd feed rare. 6150 tool steelis a snap, but d2 and m2 pose a challenge. the dc53 i mentioned in my eailer post is a type of steel i have never worked with and i was just wondering if any one in this great orginisation had worked with it before soft or hard

as always thanks for any input
    rick

The only time I ever heard of DC 53, is when we needed it to do a small stamping die section. About a dozen small (.06x.187) 1" deep punches with .06" in between each punch. It worked great for that application were A2 and D2 just wouldnt hold up.

I know you can get endmills that are for steels up to 65 rockwell C, just make sure you have a high precision collet for it. What are you using the DC 53 for???

dc53

chuck!
    the detail is a form section in a progressive die, their is a radius that keeps on cracking,(a lot of pressure on it) we've tried d2 m2 and s7 with about the same luck, it lasts for about 40-50,000 hits then starts cracking. the die maker grinds the crack out and sends it out to a really good welder .then i re machine it. i just made 2 new ones (with .010 stock on all surfaces ) out of dc53 when it comes back it gets ground all around ,then the wire guy does his majic on it then i get it for final machining. i was just wondering what to expect if i use speeds and feed for d2 to machine it this is the first time i have ever heard of the stuff. soft it machines better than d2.

any comments (or guesses) will be appreciated.
    rick parkes
    chi psweeper

In a hard state it will machine similar to D2 hardend. The endmills we had were from kennametal and they could take light cuts on A2 or D2 at 60-63 RC.

Quote Originally Posted by rchprks View Post
    sven! i have to disagree as i machine hardened tool steels all the time, ...
    I didn't write impossible, I wrote hopeless.