587,213 active members*
3,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

freezing stepper

Hi,

I have tested this stepper on all three axis and on the odd occassion it freezes (or sticks) momentarily on all three axis.

I have pulled the motor apart, inspected and cleaned but it makes no difference.

Any advice appreciated.

Iain.

NEVER take a stepper motor apart. Once you do, it will lose about half it's power. Are you sure it has (had) enough power to start with?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Question More information please.

1). Are you using Mach3?
    2). What speed/breed/ram computer.
    3). Which operating system?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Gerry,
    Thanks for the warning, but I'm convinced it's a problem with the motor. IMO I have 2 choices, 1. spend another $A80 on a new motor, or, 2. pull the troubled motor apart and try and clean it the best I can. My hip pocket likes the 2nd choice.

Neil,
    1. Yes, I'm using Mach 3.
    2. P3. Home built. 933Mhz. 512Mb.
    3. XP. Only running OS, Mach 3, and Vcarve. Therefore it's clean and surprising quick.

After playing around a bit more, swaping the motor on the driver board axis, I'm convinced it's an issue with the motor.

I've read elsewhere that pulling the motor down and lightly rubbing the contact points with 2000 grit sandpaper may also help. Has anyone done this with success? If I lose power or stuff the motor completely well so be it. This will be an excuse it buy a new motor.

Iain.

There are no contact points in a stepper. If it is not just losing steps from lack of power, possible causes could be bad bearings or debris in the motor. A small piece of ferrous debris would stick to the magnets and be hard to see. Since you have already taken it apart, there is nothing to lose, but like Gerry said taking it apart will often weaken the magnets and cause it to lose power.

A few times I have taken motors 'partially' apart, to blow out garbage that gotten in there, or to change bearings. I removed the end plates only, and made sure to keep the stepper core within the center housing, results were usually better than what they were previously, a couple that I removed the core from the housing it seemed like the magnetic strength was less after, in that if they were not continously enclosed in the magnetic field, they wouuld "lose" a portion of it...you could feel the difference while rotating by hand after, as well as reduced torque under power if removed from the housing...

enjoy..

Cool Magneticx rubbish?

Sticky tape is a great way to get whiskery junk off magnets, if you can get the tape out.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.