587,865 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Robomart Mini-Mill Rebuild

I have recently completed a rebuild on a Robomart FMS Mini-Mill that I purchased on eBay several years ago. It had been used for spare parts and did not have a spindle or a working stepper card. I now have a Xylotex 3-axis card mounted under the Z-axis cover where the original card had been located.

In addition I added a Wolfgang Engineering TB-650 spindle to the machine along with a control cabinet I bought from Automation Technologies. It has two power supplies, a 24V PS for the stepper motors, and a 12V for the spindle. I included a model train PWM controller for the spindle speed. My machine controller is LinuxCNC, and everything is now working.

This is my first CNC machine, and I'm using it as a learning tool before I step into a larger machine, hopefully a CRP4848. Lots of software to figure out, but I'm slowly going up the learning curve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0902.jpg   IMG_0944.jpg   2012-09-10 12.48.24.jpg  

That's a nice little set up. One day I will actually order one and get to work on it. Any video of it doing its thing?
    Chris

Actually, I did remember to take some video of the first real cut I made with the machine...it was a pretty momentous occasion as I recall

I just couldn't figure out how to rotate the video from my iPhone until you reminded me about it. Turns out Windows Live Movie Maker can do it.

Van

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm2V3jwoP1g&feature=youtube_gdata]First CNC Cut - YouTube[/ame]