587,575 active members*
3,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie looking for DIY info

Hello all. I'm happy I found this forum, looks heavy loaded with info. I am looking to make a DIY CNC machine. Mainly for my architecture student girlfriend, but also to serve me in my DIY quest. I have moderate experience with electronics, little with mechanics. I built myself a tube amplifier and a set of speakers So I have confidence that I could finish such a project like a CNC machine. I saw some kits out there, made from wood. More accessible to me, mainly for my hobby purpose. I am interested in something like 17"x24" working area. Also wish to be able to use laser/spindle on the same machine (at a time of course). I wish to work mainly on wood/plastics and maybe metal engraving. Not heavy work as most projects will be about small pieces. Can you point me the right way to learn about this things? Like motors type/power needed for such an application, controllers, software and advantages/disadvantages over different setups? I have about 2000-3000$ to invest in such a project. Thank you very much and hope I posted in the right forum.

Bob, hello check this site out Solsylva they may have information on what you are looking for. Solsylva CNC Plans~ Home Page

Regards Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

I'm interested in a kit, or maybe a kit where I get the metal parts for mechanics and I CNC locally the wood pieces. Do you happen to know any European retailer for this job? Interested in a minimum working area of 24"x24". Looking for mostly wood/plastics work, and maybe a minimum of aluminum work. Could invest 1500-2000$. I checked out solsylva.com but I won't buy any plans for a CNC machine. The availability of DIY kind of materials in my country is low and very expensive. Would take very much of my precious time as well, so I want to get a kit for the table, have it up and running with mechanics and all and then decide on the electronics. Any advice is very much welcomed. Thank you

Guys, can anyone help me please? I'm looking for a minimum of 24"x24" working area table. Preferably a mechanics kit and plans for the wood involved. European based company/individual. Can't find much in this are, and being new at this I don't want to make the wrong investment. I'm looking to spend 1000-1300$/€ on the whole table without the electronics.

Here are some links that may help...
    Blog : Fine Line Automation
    CNCRouterParts
    K2 USA CNC Router, Cabinet CNC Router, Small to Large CNC Router Machines, Desktop CNC router.

You can also do a search here or Google CNC machines
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Probotix comes to mind, but it is American.
    FireBall Comet - CNC Router - FireBall Comet

yes forgot about the Fireball good little machine from what I here and about the size you are looking for..

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Probotix comes to mind, but it is American.
    FireBall Comet - CNC Router - FireBall Comet
    Nice machine! But at 300lb and 3300$ I'd pay shipping and taxes one more time the price of the machine maybe. Anyway, looks real nice! If it be in europe and tad cheaper would definitely get one!
    Thank you LouF for the links, I will study them.

Smile

I understand.
    I was looking at the size you wanted and the approximate price - which matched. Other issues I didn't consider.

How about this; Home which "closer" to home.
    I really don't know of any European cnc websites.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    I understand.
    I was looking at the size you wanted and the approximate price - which matched. Other issues I didn't consider.

How about this; Home which "closer" to home.
    I really don't know of any European cnc websites.
    As I read tutorials I start to realize that I could do the table myself, only need to buy a good kit of electronics. I am not afraid of that and seeing that the table is more expensive than the electronics I rather do it myself. This way It can upgrade itself in the future
    I see that many recommend the Gecko driver board. I guess G540 and 3 motors (400oz) would do good for a 3'x3' working area table? I'm not looking for a bigger table as I don't have a place for it at the moment. Maybe in the future if I turn this into a deal I will get a bigger place for the machine and hence a bigger machine as well. Do you think this would be a good electronics setup for my machine? And a 48-50V power supply, that I'll get it /make it here as I have some electronics knowledge.
    Thank you for the links, they took some fright out of me.

Much of the diy aspects depends on your ability to learn new skills, and type of shop tools available. This forum has so many talented and capable people that you should find no problem getting help.

Yes, the electronics is fine. Gecko has a good reputation for making solid products, and provide good service. The power supply current should be selected to handle all the motor currents. It may be rare that all motors will be on full bore at the same time, so the total current may be 80% of the motors sum total currents.

The G540 is a 10 micro-step driver so you should be aware that 1.8 deg stepper motor will require 2000 step pulses per revolution - if using a direct drive. Mach 3 or EMC2 have a maximum output step pulse frequency - depending on your computer. This may guide your selection of lead screw.

I decided to go with an aluminum build. As well I'd like to lose the bearings and use linear slide rails, at least for xy and maybe on z axis as well.
    I'll use the dimensions and profile close to this build:
    http://www.backyard-workshop.com/ima...ories/CNC2.jpg
    I like the way it looks and the table seems fairly easy to build. I started looking for the profiles already and I will wait a bit until I find something cheap and good.
    I have a couple of questions for anyone who would like to clear things a bit for me. First, as I see it linear slide rails provide better stability for X axis movement. Bearings do a lot of noise and I have to replace them once in while, plus I need the V shaped ones. As well as the cables to keep everything tight. But is there more friction with slide rails? Would I need a bigger motor for x axis? And since I want to go with slide rails, wouldn't it be wise to mount 2 lead screws for x axis on each side? That would need 2 motors (maybe as well for the fact that the gantry is heavier since it is aluminum), and another trouble for me is how do I connect those motors to the control board (G540 has 4 axis connections)? In parallel on a single channel or do I need to use a 4 axis board with 2 channels for the same x axis? I would go this way since it seems a more lasting build with less intervention in time. I already started modeling the build in SolidWorks (a friend of mine uses this software and lent me his laptop for a while). So far I sketched the x-axis frame and as well the aluminum profile used. I really enjoy this!
    I also found some lead screws that a local construction materials depot is selling. They have a few materials for this, and some are even 2 meters long, Diameters to 20mm. Materials were brass, zinc (or an alloy with zinc) and superior steel. The steel ones were more expensive. What approach towards the screw should I take? Does the stepping matter and are there specialized lead screws for CNC use or any solid one will do? How does this affect the accuracy of the machine? (I'd like anyone who wants to draft fast few ideas, I know there's a lot of theory on these things).

Thank you

P.S. I forgot to ask, what would be a recommended thickness for the lead screws on such a build? Something to be sure there won't be any problems for heavy work. I am planning on buying the nuts if machining them out of teflon or anything else is too hard.

Bigger motor compared to what?
    If you use the G540 only put one motor on each driver.

Both dual x-axis screws or single x-axis screw have been used successfully. A dual screw axis costs more. Each have their advance and disadvantage. A dual axis can use one motor plus a gear, belt or chain drive. Or you can use two motors. Again, each method has a pro and a con. Good engineering will make any of these methods work well.

Many builders here use 1/2inch (12.7mm). Much of the decision relies on accuracy, maximum RPM of screw before whipping, your IPM feed rate, jog rate, etc. You need to know what you want. Then determine what that requires. Usually it is size and cost factors that limits our build for a given speed and accuracy.