587,231 active members*
3,891 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Okuma Genos L400

New machine should be here in a week. I have only been around one other Genos line machine, which was at another facility just to see how it was built. Does anyone have any useful information in regards to the performace of this machine? The numbers for hp/tq all look good, rapid speeds look great, high-rpm servo motors run nice and quiet. Has anyone had problems with a Genos Lathe? Thanks!

The GENOS series are very good. I sold many of them.
    The thing is that, the machine is costructed in Japan, they use all the mayor parts from other Okuma machines (like LEGO). You will find that it shares turret, spindel, motor, drives etc with other Okuma products. This will minimize the "parts in stock" for Okuma Central in Japan and is of course good for end-user price.
    What they do is that they replace "non-important" parts with local parts made in Taiwan. (Covers, lube-pumps, chip-conveyor etc), that in combination with lower sallary for workers in Taiwan, will make a very good Economy-Okuma. No need to worry my friend :-)

I can add also my 2¢. small Taiwanese Okuma's are Soarers (instead of "Genos") in Europe. It's first Okuma buy very often. So we have a lot of them in our service area. Don't worry - they are Okuma's. Their quality is Okuma quality.

So, I clicked something accidentally and lost my dissertation, so I'll just write some highlights:
    I agree with them.
    Machine based on ES series lathe.
    Old tech that has been improved upon. Think early 90's 350 chevy or 5.0L in a Mustange. Old design, but much better than the 1973 versions.
    Saw a Genos L300MW x 500 machine do a 2 hr statistical run with results so good the data couldn't be converted to a CPK.
    I'd buy one myself if I owned a machine shop.
    Now you've heard from a fellow American.
    Algirdas is in fact an incredibly knowledgeable resource here.
    That's my 2 pennies.