587,215 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Best connectors for limit switches...

Best connectors for limit switches...

Hi Everyone...

What are the best bulkhead connectors for limit switches that have 2 wires carrying +5V current and 1 wire for ground? Just trying to keep things clean and since I have 5 limit switches I wanted something that didn't take up too much space.

So far the possibilities are:
    - Individual 3.5 mm stereo jacks... 3 wires. One for each 3 wire switch. I never liked soldering these types of connectors. Too small.
    - Individual USB ports... 4 wires. One connector for each 3 wire switch.
    - One RJ45 connector... 8 wires. One connector for ALL limit switches. In this scenario, Ground and +5V will be shared by 5 switches and remaining 6 wire will carry +5V signals to 5 sensors. One wire will not be used. Or if it's not a good idea, then perhaps each limit switch could have its own RJ45 connector.
    - One Speak On 8 wire connector. Same wiring scenario as RJ45 connector.

And if it matters, my steppers are connected with Neutrik Speakon 4 wire connectors.

Just trying to find the cleanest and fastest way to hook everything up. all your help is appreciated.

For all kinds of connectors, including military connectors, industrial connectors, connector, I think the connector manufacturer can provide a good solution, but as a general purchasing is issue to consider will be a lot of, because this involves long-term cooperation and stable quality snecma--military,medical,industrial connector manufacturer
    military,medical,industrial connectors manufacturer http://ww.sunkye.com

I ended up taking a Cat5E cable and connecting all 6 sensors to it. 6 wires on the Cat 5E cable run to signal wires on each limit switch. 2 remaining wires are for shared +5V signal and ground. Was a pain to wire since I had to stagger all the splices to make it as compact and neat as possible. I hooked everything up and all the sensors seem to work fine but i'll know more today how it goes in real production environment.

Advantages of this method is that I only have 1 RJ45 connector for all 5 limit switches and an exta 6th input for a future touch probe.

Going with XLR connectors would have wasted valuable rackmount panel space in 3U enclosure. Going with stereo connects wouldn't make the sensors hot-pluggable.