587,787 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > Alphacam is Running Very Slow

Alphacam is Running Very Slow

Two of my users walked in one day to discover Alphacam running very slow. The problem isn't going away. One of the computers up until a few days ago ran Alphacam flawlessly, the second is a brand new computer I just setup for the user. We have been looking for a solution and have not yet found one.

The new machine is faster than the other one, i'll list its basic specs:
    4th gen i5 at 3GHz
    12GB RAM DDR3
    GeForce GT 730 with 1GB GDDR3 RAM

I have tried the following things:
    Disabled virus protection
    Turned off hardware acceleration
    Changed the animation speed
    Rebooted the machines
    Used the task manager and resource monitor to see if anything was bogging down the system (nothing was)

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Alphacam is Running Very Slow

This looks like a PC problem rather than an Alphacam problem. It happened suddenly to two PC's which points to a windows update or if they are networked it could be a virus. Is other software running slowly? Is everything in Alphacam running slowly? Is Alphacam installed on the local C drive? Is the processor or ram maxed out or running high? Try setting Alphacam to run with with your Nvidia card through the Nvidia Control Panels 3D settings, updating your graphics drivers from the Nvidia website and clear your PC's of malware with decent software like Malwarebytes? Also can you give a list of startup processes.

We discovered that the LICOMDAT folder needs to be directed to each local PC. SCMI said we should not have to but that is the quick fix we came up with. I hope there are not sharing issues with tools/machining in the future. I hope this helps someone else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALPHA.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	290036

There is a limitation in Alphacam that the Licomdat and Licomdir folder has to be on the computers local drive. Per a statement from Vero regarding a recent ticket I had with them. Unfortunately, that was not my issue.

Also check that the computer is using the default location for the User folder and the documents folder.

It shouldn't affect your tool sharing as the Toolbox can be set separately, we keep ours outside of the Licomdat folder and on the server with no issue.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 Bit alphacam?