587,696 active members*
3,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My First CNC Maybe?

Hi I've been looking around the net at cnc routers
    Anyway on e-bay the other night
    a ShopBot was up for grabs an I got it well Ill pick it up next weekend. It a
    ShopBot PR 96. It was in a fire all the wires an pc got fryed.I got it for$250.00
    so I'm hopping some of you guys can give me some imfo. on the cnc
    as well as how to bring her back to life.I talked to ShopBot but did'nt get much help.
    Anyway's Thanks Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2de1_0.jpg   36c6_1.jpg  

good luck, looks like your getting a good base to get started with.

Dan

The old cable drive ShopBot is alive

Well boys she's up and running an running fine she is. It took me a week to get it tuned in but she's on the money now.I wanted to reg it with shopbot,but being the numbers are on the PC an I did'nt get the PC there is no numbers.So I quess its a half shopbot.I know its only a cable drive,But I'm happy with it.As I was posting the wife asked if I said anything about how many driver chips I fryed.Well four in a week.Its a cheap BOB so the chips are $5.40 ea.I learned a lot at a cheap cost.I wanted to go with the Gecko G540, but I'm glsd I did'nt.The BOB is 1/8 step
    It was $120.00 I orderd new cables from SB an they were helpful an quick on the shipping.An thanks for the help on the motors Richard.I talked with a few guys and they said that it would be off on the second pass. Well I'm cutting 3/4 stock in four passes an its on the money.
    I've got about $500.00 in the Bot an I think I got a deal. Thanks guys Have a good day.
    making sawdust Tom

Sounds like you got a really good deal. Good job restoring it! How about some pics?

CR.

Its been a while scents I last posted.
    Last year I got a cheap bob off e-bay, nothing but trouble, So I got the G540 Gecko
    an I ran it for awhile with the PK266 motors. It ran fine but wouldn't return to zero. It would be off. Of course I played with it, It just wasn't reliable, I cut some things even some 3D.Of course this is with the cable drive.So a couple moths ago on e-bay I pick up a Vexta 296-02A motor for a third of the cost of a new one.That was good for the Y axes, Had to buy the X axes motors new. Got the Racks from SSS an the spur gears from McMaster. Now I,m waiting on the angle iron, should have it Friday.While I was waiting on everything,I put the Vexta 296-02a motors on the cable drive,And what a difference it mated. I hope to get started on the upgrade sat.