587,890 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 5 Automated Atlas Copco Drilling systems. What would you do!?

5 Automated Atlas Copco Drilling systems. What would you do!?

I have 5 really expensive Atlas Copco Automated Drilling systems. They are Pneumatic and all run at roughly 500 RPM @ 100PSI. They feature a physical start and return switch along with remote start and return capabilities via a small pneumatic port. You can change the speed at which it retracts, as well as the speed it moves forward. You can also remove the cover and adjust the depth at which it strokes for precision. They have about a 4"-5" stroke. They all function perfect and are in really good condition. They all have a 1 1/2" extensions connected to a 3/8 x 24 7BA jacobs chucks. the back side features a large T slot bracket for mounting, or you can mount the unit by its nose VIA large threads.

What is the craziest thing you can think of doing with these things???! =) CNC DRILLER?

Attached are a few PDF's from Atlas Copco. They still sell parts for them and accessories.

All crazy ideas welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6320.jpg   IMG_6309.jpg   IMG_6310.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a old you tube video of when i first got them:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/diyengin...16/YuzDwwrBKNs

Bump.. anyone?! lol

I don't see how these can be controlled in any way CNC wise? Except to go forward and back with a valve.

Drill holes with them............???

Quote Originally Posted by flash319 View Post
    I don't see how these can be controlled in any way CNC wise? Except to go forward and back with a valve.

Drill holes with them............???
    Well you are partially correct. They are just fancy pneumatic drills with pneumatically powered feed.

I was thinking about building a cnc drilling attachment for my current large machine. I could load up a different bit into each unit and switch between drills quickly because they would all be on a rotary changer. Have a gear downed servo drive a carousel device to switch between units quickly. Each unit wouldn't need a z axis because i only cut a certain thickness of material so i could manually adjust the pneumatic feed to cut through the material, but not into my table.

Maybe ill draft something up in solidworks later in the week to show you what im thinking.