587,998 active members*
1,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > WTB - Taig vise from someone not using theirs...

WTB - Taig vise from someone not using theirs...

Had another project going at home that used nearly every watt available so I couln't turn on and use my TAIG mill without flipping breakers. Its been years now and that power hungry project is finally over so I am going to put in some time on the mill (used it maybe 2-3 hours years ago =()

Long story short... I have read that people with taig mills often upgrad their taig vise with something else and figured I might be able to get a good deal using what someone else isn't.

Bough a 2" screwless vise instead of a taig vise... Be nice if I could make some soft jaws for it but I doubt it. While vise hunting I came across a website where someone built their own screwless vise I may try that as a future project to get the softjaws I need.

A Screwless Vise for the Taig Mill

My 2" vise arrived today its everything I expected which is too bad => I'll have a good vice for holding material but putting sacrificial jaws on it would likely be a seriously difficult task to complete without ruining the vise. One thing I don't like is the pin as it can be difficult to know when its seated well after opening and closing the vise so I replaced it with a 15/64" drill that maintains its position in the slot.

I like to cut some small pieces of aluminum about 0.125"~0.2" thick to use as sacrificial jaw pads. Make them about the same profile as jaws and slip them between the jaw and work piece. This usually gives you enough room to cut to the edge of the workpiece.
    Jeff Birt

I was going to suggest a screwless vise instead when I saw your post right now. I have a bunch of screwless vises from 1" to 6" now, and I think they are great.

I think you may also find the clamping assembly with a piece of angle levered into the work piece as shown here to be useful:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAnIFSHEGcY]Basic Clamping and Holding Hardware For Milling - YouTube[/ame]
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com